Complaint Review: Hewlett-Packard

• Updated: Fri, January 19, 2007

• Reported By:Clarion Pennsylvania
Hewlett-Packard
Internet U.S.A.

HP - Hewlett-Packard Ripoff Consumer fraud Devious Practices Involving Software Palo Alto, California

*Consumer Comment: From Kirk.

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: About your Ink!

*Consumer Suggestion: Check some printer ink forums on the web for info

*Author of original report: I found this on the web! Boy this makes me mad!

If you have a Hp don't update your software if you use other ink cartridges!!! I called Hp and they said I would have to pay them for the info to fix my printer. They told me online chat was free so here it is:

Samuel (Hp tech)

: Hi Kirk.
Samuel: Welcome to HP Total Care for All-in-One products. My name is Samuel. How may I assist you today?
Kirk : I was given this number on the phone from HP (# withheld)
Samuel: Thank you for the information.
Samuel: Could you please recheck the case number?
Samuel: There will not be any letters in a case number.
Kirk : H=8?
Samuel: Let me check.
Samuel: Kirk, I could not locate any cases pertaining to that number. However, please go ahead and explain the issue in brief.
Samuel: I will do my best to help you with the issue.
Kirk : after updating my HP 5510 last week it does not print any longer
Samuel: I see.
Samuel: Do you have any error message when you try to print?
Kirk : no just on the printer it says:
Samuel: Could you give me the exact error message?
Kirk : yes
Kirk : it says
Kirk : Print cartridge Error See the product documentation for details
Samuel: I see.
Samuel: Could you let me know if you use Genuine HP Cartridges or not?
Kirk : The guy on the phone new what was wrong..
Kirk : There from Staples and the guy said they are the same ones
Samuel: Are the cartridges Genuine HP Cartridges?
Kirk : no Staples brand for HP
Samuel: Kirk, I would like to inform you that cartridges of other brand are not recommended by HP as ink used in the cartridges is of low quality and may also damage the printer.
Samuel: That is the reason why, we recommend to use only HP cartridges.
Kirk : I just bought them today
Kirk : new ones
Samuel: Do you have any HP cartridges to isolate the issue?
Kirk : no sorry
Samuel: Kirk, I recommend you replace these cartridges with new Genuine HP Cartridges and get back online with us if the issue persists.
Samuel: However, the issue will be resolved once you replace the cartridges.
Kirk : So if I buy Hp cartridges it will be fixed?
Samuel: Exactly.
Kirk : Oh Ok did the update I just uploaded last week do this?
(After I installed the Hp update Jan 12 07 my printer would not print)
Samuel: No, Kirk.
Samuel: This issue is purely related to hardware.
Samuel: It has nothing to do with the software or any updates.
Kirk : Well it started right after the update for HP
Samuel: I hope you understand.
Samuel: The updates or any patches are only to fix software issues.
Kirk : This chat has been recorded : )
Kirk : have a nice day
Kirk : The end

Kirk
Clarion, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/17/2007 06:35 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/-Hewlett-Packard/internet/HP-Hewlett-Packard-Ripoff-Consumer-fraud-Devious-Practices-Involving-Software-Palo-Alt-231130. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Hewlett-Packard

From Kirk.

AUTHOR: Kirk - (U.S.A.)

I have been using Staples ink for over a year with no problems. I did go back to Staples and traded my newly bought ink cartridges Staples brand for Genuine Hp ink cartridges and what do you know my printer now works.
The Sales guy at Staples told me that Staples will no longer be selling Hp Staples ink cartridges.
Hp is threatening to sue Staples for patent infringement on ink cartridges.
I still say That Hp is up to no good.
If I was smart enough to decode the last update from Hp I'm sure I would find a rat in the update.
It's just funny that my printer worked fine and after the update I could not print. Bought new Staples ink cartridges still would not work and then installed Genuine Hp ink cartridges and it work right off the bat.

I'm can't wait for LG to start making printers and take over the market.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

About your Ink!

AUTHOR: Steven - (U.S.A.)

Hi,

I'm a former employee of Staples of 3 years. The problem was not in fact that your cartridge was not HP genuine, but it was infact faulty from us, and not resent properly. All of our Staples brand ink carries a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Take the ink back to the store explain to them that the catridge is erroring and they will replace it with a working one. I would say in my 3 years at Staples roughly 1 out of every 100 cartridges needed to be replaced due to faulty reformatting of the chip. This is no big deal, and tends to happen when dealing with sophisticated technology not our own.

Now, HP genuine ink truly is superior as far as ink quality with their vivera series. BUT, that doesnt mean you can't use off brand ink cartridges. I understand you feel HP is in the wrong by having these Chips but remember Epson, Canon, and Brother, all have the same formatting styles. The only Printer I have seen with minimal chipping technology is Canon. However, it is extremely hard for any company to correctly reproduce their chromalife ink.

As I former worker I have 2 hp printers and 1 Canon. I choose to buy genuine cartridges for both my machines simply to ensure the best quality, life, and photos. If I was using my printer for everyday text and printing Off-brand is fine.

If Off-brand ink is a must for you, try Canon and refilling your own. Stay away from Epson, as their printheads have a very high tendency to clog. Hp/Canon Is your best bet.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Check some printer ink forums on the web for info

AUTHOR: Pablo - (U.S.A.)

Many of the low price models utilize a program that "shuts off " the printers after a preset number of printouts. Its like a attempt at forced obsolecence. But there are forums that have that information to recode the printers. I have a canon that would not print untill I reprogramed it after two years. It was preset to shutdown after 3000 pages. These forums give detailed steps to reprogram and continue to use these booby trapped printers. I wish I could recall the website but if you google printer ink replacement I'm sure you'll find them.

April 25, 2005
A Long Island, New York, man charges that Hewlett-Packard is misleading consumers with the "smart chip" technology that supposedly alerts users when their inkjet cartridges are about to run out. Dennis Just filed a $5 million class action lawsuit in federal district court accusing HP of breach of good faith, unjust enrichment and violation of New York business law.
HP touts its smart chip design as a convenience. But critics say it's primarily designed to stifle competition from companies that recycle old HP cartridges with new ink. The cartridges "expire" and can't be used in printers between 2 1/2 and four years after manufacture.

"The primary function of this impressive-sounding technology is to make it difficult or impossible to refill that cartridge," said a 2002 article in PC Buyer's Guide.

But an HP spokeswoman said Just's suit is "without merit."

The suit alleges HP, the world's largest maker of printers and accessories, "claimed to consumers that the smart chip would improve printer performance." Instead, it says, "the smart chip appears to be designed to secretly and deceptively increase the sale of HP replacement ink cartridges, whether or not ink remains in the cartridge and replacement is necessary."

Just's suit alleges the smart chip technology warns that replacements are needed when cartridges are "far from empty," then "immediately" steers them to an HP-sponsored Web site to buy replacements.

In March, HP sued two companies that sell recycled cartridges refilled with non-HP ink, alleging the ink violates HP's patents and that they mislabel packaging.

facing