Complaint Review: 1040NOW

• Updated: Sun, February 16, 2014

• Reported By: WCM — Petersburg Virginia
1040NOW
325 Bainbridge Street Philadelphia , Pennsylvania USA

1040NOW 1040now charged me $19.95 for filing Federal return after claiming it was free in 5 different places according to my AGI. Philadelphia Pennsylvania

Listed on 1040now.com tax site:

Free File Offer

Free federal tax preparation & e-file:

1) Your AGI is $58,000 or less and you live in one of the following states: AL, AR, AZ, CA, GA, IA, ID, IN, KY, MI, MN, MO, MS, NC, ND, NY, OK, OR, RI, SC, VA, VT or WV  or

I used 1040now.com to prepare and efile my Federal and Va State return Jan. 2014. When I completed the return after 60 minutes or so, they said I do not qualify and that I must live IA (Iowa) to qualify. The last two years when I filed they waived the fee and it was free.

This year they asked for the $19.95 fee although they advertised in many places I qualify because my AGI is less than $58,000 or 32,000. I copied and pasted what was listed on their home page and 1040 tax site above and below. It is also mentioned elsewhere within the 1040now site.

Free federal and state returns if your adjusted gross income is $32,000 or less and you live in Virginia.

A primary condition is you file thru an authorized link which I did which was VATAX, the VA Dept. of Taxation which listed 1040now amoung others.

I did pay the fee thinking they would own up to their mistake, because I thought they were reputable people.

I emailed them thru their on line support 4 times and got the runaround.

Their only answer was I filed thru the IA (Iowa) link and that's why I do not qualify. I answered them by saying if I did, I would qualify for free anyway because they said if you live in IA and have AGI $32,000 or less its free. I explained I live in VA and used the VATAX link just like last year.

After this they would not answer. They only said we are checking to make sure everything is OK. They were hoping I would get my refund and quit complaining like many others I'm sure.

I copied and pasted the email exchanges from their website for proof.

Also additionally, when I filed the VA state return they hilariuosly said my Federal was free but would charge me $17.95 for the state. I went thru with the state return too see if they would ask for bank account info but they did not so the state was free.

Hilariously I think, these people are wide open for a class action lawsuit but I'll leave that for you folks. If you do, I'm on board.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/16/2014 01:38 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/1040NOW/-Philadelphia-Pennsylvania-19147/1040NOW-1040now-charged-me-1995-for-filing-Federal-return-after-claiming-it-was-free-in-1123983. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on 1040NOW