Complaint Review: 1and1.com

• Updated: Tue, October 29, 2013

• Reported By: Jeremy — San Diego California
1and1.com
701 Lee Rd Chesterbrook, Pennsylvania USA

1and1.com === Hijacked my domains ==== Forced payment else lose them Chesterbrook Pennsylvania

One of the worst service experiences I've had in my life. The company hijacked my domains and forced me to pay for a renewal so that I could keep them long enough to have them transferred.

I am a hosting provider. I have several registered domains at 1and.com 2 of my domains were expiring soon, and because of 1and1.com's increase in prices, I decided to transfer these 2 domains to another register I do business with.

I tried to change my contact information for these 2 domains from "private" to "public" to ease the transfer process (the new registrar needs to send an authorization email to the admin contact info.  This process  is supposed to take 48 hours max. I made this change on Oct 21st or Oct 22nd via the user control panel. It acknowledged the change and said it was in process. It never happened.

Because the contact info is set to "private" the authorization email sent by the new registrar (which I contacted to initiate the transfer at the same time) goes to 1and.com or through their proxy service, then forwarded to me. But 1and.com refused to make the change to public, which would allow the authorization email to come directly to me. The 2 domains were expiring on Oct 27th and Oct 29th.  I contacted the NEW registrar, they explained they tried to send out the email to authorize the transfer, but had not received any contact from 1and.com. I called 1and.com support. They wanted to know immediately why I was wanting to change from private to public. I told them I wanted to transfer the domains. They then said that I would have to renew with them first before they made any changes to the domains because 1 domain (the 27th)  had expired and the other was set to expire soon (29th).

They realized (through the email from the other registrar) that these domains were being transferred, so  they intentionally denied the change from private to public (so the other registrar could contact the public admin information) and refused to respond to the emails sent by the new registrar. This caused the domains to expire, and then forces me to pay to renew them. The support rep stated as much when she said that the only way to make any changes would be for me to pay to renew the domains.

48 hours is the standard time for these updates. 1and.com states this on their website as well as during the phone call.  In addition, it is easy to make the changes on their end. The rep even said they could do it over the phone. So why not just do it right then and there? She explained it was because I had to pay to renew the domains first...even though 1 of them wasn't even expired at the time of the call!

It's a clever way of making sure that people who want to transfer away from this company, end up paying to renew. My domains were hijacked. It was either pay 1and.com or lose those domains.  Other people have claimed the same and similar things have happened to them on a variety of sites.

This is apparently a "policy" of 1and.com and ought to be stopped.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS with this shady company. I'd been doing business with them for 4+ years and had around 15-20 domains registered with them. I never had an issue w/ them before because I never tried to transfer away from them. Once I did though...it was a nightmare.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/29/2013 10:01 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/1and1com/Chesterbrook-Pennsylvania/1and1com-Hijacked-my-domains-Forced-payment-else-lose-them-Chesterbrook-Pennsyl-1095401. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on 1and1.com