Complaint Review: 23andMe

• Updated: Mon, May 20, 2013

• Reported By: Kendra Brogden — Beverly Hills North Carolina
23andMe
1390 Shorebird Way Mountain View, California USA

23andMe RIPOFF!! SCAM!! REPORTS FALSE AND UN-TRUE (AVOID THIS SCAM) Mountain View California

*Consumer Comment: Positive Review an Obvious Plant

*Consumer Comment: I've bought four of these - they're fairly accurate.

123ANDME is a RIPOFF! RIPOFF! RIPOFF!. It's a SCAM!!! It's a SCAM!!! I bought one of their $99 test kits that will break down my genetics and tell me my chances of getting ill from certain cancers and heart disease. I could not believe my eyes when I saw the test results. TOTALY FALSE! They make these numbers up! I called them for a refund and I was insulted by Andy Page who refused to return my money. I had my tests done somewhere else and the results were totally different.

I called them again and a technician by the name of “Arnab Chowdry “ secretly told me that the results are made up and no actual genetic study is done. Anne “The founder of this scam” he told me, made up the idea when they where dating each other. I want to make myself available for any class action lawsuits against this FRAUD!.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/20/2013 03:25 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/23andMe/Mountain-View-California-94043/23andMe-RIPOFF-SCAM-REPORTS-FALSE-AND-UN-TRUE-AVOID-THIS-SCAM-Mountain-View-Califo-1052446. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on 23andMe

Positive Review an Obvious Plant

AUTHOR: tony.evans@sapo.pt - ()

The story told about the rip-off is not only supported by many others but it is verbatim why the FDA shut down that portion of the report!!!  Anyone that is going to just make stuff up and charge you $99 for it is not above planting reviews and just lying.  Clue: when the "reviewer" spends as much time explaining how they happen to be writing the review as rebutting the charge and then doesn't cover 1/2 the negatives.  And anyone that was really googling it would have seen the FDA's cease and desist order.

It's a rip-off.  I and many others have heard from former employees, also treated shabbily, the same story about the girlfriend's idea and that they just make it up.

You can Google your own references, but just try "23andme" and "FDA" to read about how the FDA has reached the same, negative, conclusions.  It's incredible how much fraud is subborned in this country.  In most countries they'd be in jail by now.  https://www.mail.com/news/politics/2501950-23andme-to-halt-health-related-genetic-reports.html

I've bought four of these - they're fairly accurate.

AUTHOR: Tai - ()

For those of you unfamiliar with 23andMe, you send in a vial of spit and they send you information on genes they've detected. Certain genes are linked with higher probabilities of getting a disease - but just because you have a cancer gene doesn't guarantee you'll get it.

Now, short of 23andMe having spies everywhere, I'm not sure how they would've guessed the hair, eye, and general ancestral background of four people right in my experience. My 7th generation Chinese friend was labelled as 99% East Asian, her 50/50 Brazillian/Spanish boyfriend was labelled about 50% South American and 50% European (and even narrowed it down to the general area of Spain he was from), and so on.

Another reviewer is making claims that the results were "totally false" and that they were "making things up", citing another company (which will forever be a mystery??) as giving different results. Unless this person steps forward with more evidence than "waaa I think 23andMe are wrong about my cancer risk because my friend a lab techncian that's answering the phone for some reason said so," and an explaination as to why 23andMe can correctly guess both several physiological traits and some health risks that have run in four different people's families, I'm inclined to say they're a squatter looking for money.

Disclaimer: I came across this page looking for a certain study done by 23andMe and see a bogus review for a company that's treated me well - so I chose to respond. I have no stock in 23andMe nor know anyone employed there - but people on the internet who are blatantly wrong make me mad.