Complaint Review: 24 7 PC Care

24 7 PC Care

24 7 PC Care PC Care 247 Unsolicited phone call to fix my computer Internet

*Author of original report: Misunderstanding

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Misunderstanding

I received an unsolicited phone call from a company called 24 7 PC CARE saying they were notified through my window updates that I had malware on my computer and they begin guiding me through "manage" computer to check out my event log to see if there were any yellow warning triangles or red X warnings.  I had a number of them.
Then he asked if I had malware software and then led me to the run command on my computer and told me to enter "logmein123.com."

I instantly realized that this was a web based support that would allow them to access my computer remotely (in this case, from India).  I immediately said I wasn't interested and would have my computer checked out locally.

Then I checked the Microsoft support websire to see what they say and this is what it says:

Microsoft does not make unsolicited phone calls to help you fix your computer In this scam cybercriminals call you and claim to be from Microsoft Tech Support. They offer to help solve your computer problems. Once the crooks have gained your trust, they attempt to steal from you and damage your computer with malicious software including viruses and spyware. Although law enforcement can trace phone numbers, perpetrators often use pay phones, disposable cellular phones, or stolen cellular phone numbers. It's better to avoid being conned rather than try to repair the damage afterwards. Treat all unsolicited phone calls with skepticism. Do not provide any personal information.

DO NOT LET ANYONE LOG INTO YOUR COMPUTER OR SELL YOU ANYTHING IF YOU DIDN'T CONTACT THEM FIRST!  That motto has saved me a lot of pain.  It will you too.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/12/2011 07:07 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/24-7-PC-Care/internet/24-7-PC-Care-PC-Care-247-Unsolicited-phone-call-to-fix-my-computer-Internet-694728. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on 24 7 PC Care

Misunderstanding

AUTHOR: rambo - (United States of America)

I will take you at your word that you are not the same company that made the call to me.   It doesn't surprise me that they are trying to represent themselves as a valid company that people would check by searching for "24 7 pc care" which, when searched, your url comes up.

Rip Off reports doesn't give me the ability to edit the original posting, but I have sent an email to the editor asking them to take your web site URL off of the report.

I apologize for any misunderstanding related to your company, PC Care 247 which, by your word, is not associated with this scam.

I'm sure you agree that the fact remains that consumers should NEVER follow the directions of anyone contacting them unsolicited through telemarketing.  In fact, with all telemarketing the best policy is JUST SAY NO and hang up!

#2 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Misunderstanding

AUTHOR: PCcare247 - (United States of America)

Dear Randy,

You need to change the URL of the provided website to the one which actually scammed you. You have given our URL (www.pccare247.com) by mistake in place of another company that goes be the name 24 7 PC Care. We are PCCare247, one of the leading online technical support providers of the world. There are many scammers in the cyber world who take a rip off from our name (which in your case is 24 7 PC care) and try to swindle you of your money.We are trying our best to protect our customers from these people.

We already have registered many cases of copyright violations against many such fraudulent sites.
Last but not the least; please do change the URL of the website to the one who actually scammed you.

Warm regards,