Complaint Review: 24 Hour Fitness

• Updated: Sun, August 18, 2013

• Reported By: Steven — Newport Beach California
24 Hour Fitness
PO Box 2689 Carlsbad, California USA

24 Hour Fitness Cancelled my gym life membership without any notice Carlsbad California

I was recently on Ripoff Report and I was reading about other clients of 24 Hour Fitness that have experienced the same things that has happened me which has also happened to them with their membership as they were promised a renewal guarantee after their initial upfront fee and after that not allowing the client to get a renewal.

Well I have a similar story that I have endured over the years and despite the calls and emails I have attempted, unfortunately  I still haven't gotten any results out of it and I think that's just completely unfair and unjust of what I signed up for.  I mean if I knew that after the 3 years I paid upfront and I would not get anything out of it, then I wouldn't have signed up for it.  Back in 2005 I went to the Brea, Ca location of 24 Hour Fitness and the sales person gave me an offer that if I pay $699 for 3 year that my renewal rate will be $49/year for as long as I want to remain a a member.  So I signed up and thinking that in a long term situation it works out for the best because you get a great yearly fee and you get to use the gym whenever.  But when the 3 years was up, I thought since I paid with my credit card they would deduct the $49 from the credit card that was on file.  So I go to the gym one day and this is in the 4th year now and I go in and where they scan the card in and they tell me that my membership has lapsed, I am thinking how can that be when I didn't get a renewal notice form or bill in the mail that I owe the amount and if I don't pay my membership will be cancelled, because I thought since I didn't get anything in the mail that it was already auto debited.

So I went home and I called customer service and they said that because of none payment and also because of the deadline, I no longer qualify for the renewal rate and they are sorry that they can't do anything about it, I am thinking the whole time how is that possible when I haven't gotten any renewal slips in the mail and how can I be blamed for something that I haven't gotten a chance to pay for and worse yet that I can't make it whole at the time that I called to make a payment.

Over the years I have tried countless times to contact 24 Hour Fitness headquarters and try to resolve this, I have made numerous  phone calls, wrote extensive emails but at the end of it all absolutely no results whatsoever.  I thought that I was the unlucky one here, but over the years that I have searched online I have seen a lot of similar situations.

I recently contacted 24 Hour Fitness membership cancellation depart. and I told them about what happened and the customer rep is asking me all the necessary questions and entering into the system and then he finally asks me for the best email to be contacted on, which I gave him and then he says that someone from the membership resolution dept, will contact me by email so I wait 5 days and I still didn't get an email, I called back up to the membership cancellation dept, again and asked why they didn't send me an email and the rep said it shows that the dept, rep already had sent me an email but to the email address that I signed back in 2005, I am asking why they didn't send it to the email that I gave the rep a few days ago?

Anyway, I finally got the email that the rep from the membership resolition dept, and the response was that the membership contract can't be rewritten, because so much time has gone by and they could only reinstate it within the first 6 months, well thats interesting I called within a couple of weeks of the membership that was cancelled without any prior notice and they wouldn't reinstat the contract so how can I believe what the rep is saying.

I want to be given the chance and opportunity to get my membership back bacause this is completely wrong from a company of this size to be playing games with their most value assets which is their Customer.  It seems that everytime that I made an attempt to get to a solution it always went nowhere.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/18/2013 01:44 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/24-Hour-Fitness/Carlsbad-California-92018/24-Hour-Fitness-Cancelled-my-gym-life-membership-without-any-notice-Carlsbad-California-1076863. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on 24 Hour Fitness