Complaint Review: 24 Hour Fitness

• Updated: Mon, September 24, 2012

• Reported By: Anonymous — Rockville Center New York United States of America
24 Hour Fitness
5712 East Lake Sammamish Pkwy SE Issaquah, Washington United States of America

24 Hour Fitness Draconian membership practices, anything that can go wrong does Issaquah, Washington

I was a member at this fitness center for about three years and enjoyed the club and the services of the trainer as well as classes.  What I didn't enjoy were the administrative practices I ran into during the time with them.  When I had to put my membership on hold due to health reasons (back injury), I stopped in person at the front desk and was told to fill out a slip of paper which I did.

To my dismay, the membership was never placed on hold and I was continued to be charged.  The employee never processed it.  After long wait on the phone multiple times I was able to put the membership on the six months hold, only it got reactivated - to my surprise - four months later, two months before the agreed upon time.  I did not complain then, just took it in stride.

I also purchased a Bodybugg as well as the tracker, and when the later arrived I decided I didn't really need this expensive addition to the device ($70-80 or so, don't remember exact amount), but I could never return it, as I was told at the gym they do not process returns of any kind.  I still have it in the box in a closet, two years later, never used.

I once purchased a sports top, the only item of clothing I ever got at the gym store, and was told it was OK to take it home to try as there are no fitting rooms at the gym and I could not take it into a changing room without paying first.  At home I realized it was too small and did not like the style, however, I could not return it.  I still have it, never used, 50 bucks down the drain.

Finally, it is next to impossible to cancel the membership!  We moved out of state and with the move and everything else going on (a new full-time job and a young child) I can't go to the gym at this time in my life.  I called to cancel and after a long wait and a long conversation where they make you explain exactly where you are going and why you are canceling, I was told my membership was canceled, however I could use the gym for the next two months (not needed as we would have moved by then!).

Anyway, I was charged again and again two months in a row after my phone call - it turns out my membership was never canceled and my call was never recorded.  What a waste of time, money and effort!!!  I had another prolonged conversation and finally just told them I would have to cancel my credit card to discontinue the charges.  I am hopeful it has been canceled this time.  And yes I went online and canceled it myself too for good measure.

Needless to say, next time I join the gym, I shall be careful not to get embroiled in this one.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/24/2012 09:38 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/24-Hour-Fitness/Issaquah-Washington-98029/24-Hour-Fitness-Draconian-membership-practices-anything-that-can-go-wrong-does-Issaquah-945780. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on 24 Hour Fitness