Complaint Review: 24 Hour Fitness

• Submitted: Tue, June 30, 2009
  • Updated: Sat, July 11, 2009

• Reported By:Ontario California
24 Hour Fitness
2403 Vineyard Ave Suite D Ontario, California U.S.A.
  • Phone: 909-923-2233
  • Web:
  • Category: Lawyers

24 Hour Fitness Vineyard Site 91761 'Unlawful Unfair Treament' of members Ontario California

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Active Members can not visit SuperSport

I have been a member of 24 Hour Fitness since 1997; attending the same 24 Hour Fitness Ontario, CA site located at 2403 Vineyard Ave Suite D. The corporate office has decided to close this location and has opened a new 'Super Sport' located at 2580 S Archibald Ave, CA. refusing to 'Grandfather' in their old members. Advising us to attend the Chino site or pay a monthly upgrade fee of $14.00.

I was able to attend most of their fitness clubs prior. My membership allowed me to do so. Now they are remodeling and building more 24 Hour Fitness 'Pro Sport' and 'Super Sport'. they have canceled all weekend classes at the Ontario, CA, Vineyard location forcing you to upgrade or attend 24 Hour sites outside of your city. I have been told my 'home site' is Chino. I live in Ontario, CA. my 'home site' has been Ontario since 1997.

I am certain this is an illegal act. 24 Hour Fitness is phasing out my membership by building bigger sites leaving less of the original 24 Hour Fitness and building more 'Super Sport' etc.

I know 24 Hour Fitness use to 'Grandfather in their old memberships into the Super Sport Clubs; how can they just decide to stop and charge their members additional fees. I want to start a class action lawsuit against 24 Hour Fitness.
HELP!

Janice
Ontario, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/30/2009 01:07 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/24-Hour-Fitness/Ontario-California-91761/24-Hour-Fitness-Vineyard-Site-91761-Unlawful-Unfair-Treament-of-members-Ontario-Californ-466432. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on 24 Hour Fitness

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Ralph - (U.S.A.)

As a former employee of 24 Hour Fitness, I can honestly attest to the fact, that Active Club Members may not attend on a regular basis any Sport or SuperSport Clubs.

Active Club members may, however, visit other clubs outside of the active gyms, if they so choose to pay a visitors fee of $10-$20.

I have experienced similar situation in which my club had under gone renovation upgrades. Our club members were given temporary access to local sport and supersport clubs. However, once our club was completed all Active members were required to return to our club unless they had purchased an upgraded membership.

I agree that the upgrades are a scam. However, it is no different than cell phone companies whom lure in their current customers with great deals on cell phones only to be told that you have to extend your contract for another two years. 24 Hour Fitness is not interested in your health. They are only concerned about daily and weekly qoutas. Yet majority of their gyms are unsanitary, highly congested, under staffed and many of their trainers are under trained and do not possess a great deal of knowledge about fitness and nutrition. For 24 Hour Fitness, the goal is to sell long term and upgraded memberships so that their sales reps can earn their commission based pay of 15% on Sports and Super Sports membership sales. Mind you that Club managers also take a percentage from the sales as well.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds