Complaint Review: 24 Hour Fitness

24 Hour Fitness
1202 Northwest Irving Street Portland, Oregon United States of America

24 Hour Fitness Treats Members Poorly! Portland, Oregon

*Author of original report: 2 Months

*Consumer Comment: How long?

*Author of original report: Missing the point

*Consumer Comment: Do you really need to pay

*Consumer Comment: Interesting

Let me start by saying I have been a loyal gym member of 24 Hour Fitness for the last 5 years. I signed up at an extremely high pay-in-full price to lock in a low annual renewal price in future years. But it was well worth it because I loved my gym. And I still do!

With that being said, I generally receive an annual renewal invoice from 24 Hour Fitness which I take to my local gym to make payment on. Around the renewal time, I was giving birth to my 2nd child, so obviously me reaching out to 24 Hour Fitness to check on my renewal status was not at the top of my priorities. I just assumed my renewal notice would come, and it never did. Realizing recently that I had not received my notice, I logged into my 24 Hour Fitness account online only to find that my membership had been cancelled.

So I called Member Services, which was a complete nightmare. These calls are handled by a call center overseas, and they are not willing to work with you at all. They told me that despite my membership having been cancelled less than a month ago, by them and not me, they would be willing to HELP me out by charging me $149 renewal fee plus my annual renewal rate. I requested to speak with a manager to see if they could waive the fee since I was not sent a renewal notice and after holding 20 minutes, I was hung up on!

I called back and finally got an Account Supervisor on the line who then told me they would lower the fee to $99 but increase my renewal rate by $5/month which comes out to more than the original proposal! Or my other option was to get a new membership. He also informed me that my contract says they have no obligation to send me a renewal notice, so essentially tough luck pay us or go away. Glad to see this is how 24 Hour Fitness treats customers that have been with them for 5 years.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/03/2011 11:05 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/24-Hour-Fitness/Portland-Oregon-97209/24-Hour-Fitness-Treats-Members-Poorly-Portland-Oregon-736435. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on 24 Hour Fitness

2 Months

AUTHOR: Ashley S. - (United States of America)

They cancelled my membership in early May. I don't recall the specific date though.

How long?

AUTHOR: Integrity First - (United States of America)

How long has you membership been expired? I will let you know what is possible and not possible

Missing the point

AUTHOR: Ashley S. - (United States of America)

I think you are completely missing the point. I could purchase a new membership for what they proposed I pay. Additionally, they failed to provide a renewal notice which they have always done previously. I'm not making excuses or failing to acknowledge any culpability in the matter; however, 24 Hour Fitness did not honor their past commitment to notify me for renewal. And their customer service is atrocious in providing a worse offer than the original one. Bottom line, I wouldn't want to purchase a new membership from a company that doesn't value their long-term customers, and I plan to tell all my friends and acquaintances what they can expect if they do business with them. I'm going to Snap Fitness!

Do you really need to pay

AUTHOR: mr rik - (USA)

to get exercise?

Interesting

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

They could have just said tough luck and forced you to buy and entirely new membership.  So they were trying to work with you.  The fact is you let your membership expire.

Based on how you wrote the report it seems that you knew your renewal was coming up BEFORE it expired and would have had the opportunity to renew.  It also seems that you think you can use your circumstances as an excuse as to why you shouldn't have to pay the reinstatement fee.

Just how long should they give you to avoid the additional fee?  1Day? 1 Month, 2 Months?  Exactly as long as it takes you to try and renew?

What other special cases should they waive the fee for, or is the only reason they should allow is yours?