Complaint Review: 24 Hour Fitness - Boynton Beach

• Updated: Thu, June 12, 2014

• Reported By: The Man — Delray Beach Florida
24 Hour Fitness - Boynton Beach
1775 N Congress Ave Boynton Beach, Florida USA

24 Hour Fitness - Boynton Beach Shaq 24 Hour Fitness Steam Room Bacteria? Boynton Beach Florida

I'm a new memeber to the Boynton Beach 24 Hour Fitness (Shaq). After availing myself of the steam room about three times, I aquired a bacterial infection in my lungs resulting in pneumonia with a lung abscess. I was spitting up blood, was hospitalized, lost 3 weeks of pay, and since I was between jobs and didn't have health insurance, I am now saddled with close to a $100,000 hospital bill.

Instead of feeling better from entering the steam room, I not only got sick, lost income, and incurred a large debt, but with this abscess, pneumonia, and bacteria proliferation throughout substantial parts of my lungs, I will now have lower lung function from the resultant tissue scarring.

While in the hospital, a friend informed me that they shut down the sauna/steam room/swimming pool area for extensive cleaning. A manger has indicated that this was a scheduled cleaning and that during slow times -- each day -- they have an outside agency come in to power wash the sauna and steam room.

The manager failed to indicate if the steam making apparatus is cleaned. When I asked this manager about the schedule for cleaning the steam making apparatus, he looked at me with a look that demonstrates a lack of knowledge. He said -- after I filed an incident report that he said I could not get a copy of -- that a particular 24 Fitness employee will contact me. This report was filed on 6/11/14.

I believe I ingested/breathed in the bacteria late April or early May.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/12/2014 06:24 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/24-Hour-Fitness-Boynton-Beach-/Boynton-Beach-Florida-33426/24-Hour-Fitness-Boynton-Beach-Shaq-24-Hour-Fitness-Steam-Room-Bacteria-Boynton-Beach-1154180. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on 24 Hour Fitness - Boynton Beach