Complaint Review: 24 hr fitness

• Reported By: jean — lomita California United States of America
24 hr fitness
2685 Pacific Coast Hwy torrance, California United States of America

24 hr fitness The RIPE OFF fitness club in torrance, California

In 2005, i paid a pre-paid fee of $800, which includes the first 3 yrs of membership plus a life-time $20 annual membership fee.

my membership was canceled around aug 2010 without anybody/anything informing me, and i didn't even find out until now jan 2011. basically the reason is because the $20 wasn't paid on time. i have been using the club non-stop, not necessary everyday, but i do use it every 2 weeks or so. i have never received any letter regarding my due, nor anybody works at the club has ever stop me from entering the club. no one at the club has even mentioned anything about my account is not active. I HAVE BEEN GOING TO THE CLUB with no problem.

Until now, when i tried to use another club in a totally different location, or to be more clear: 9 MONTHS into the due date of my fee, then all of a sudden i was told by their staff that my membership has been cancelled. And according to their customer service, since it's been 9 months, they can't reinstate me. if i found out within 6 months of the past due, they may have been able to reinstate me. and according to them, i suppose to remember exactly when my fee is due (really ? 5 yrs after i signed up), and it is not their job to tell you that you have a fee to pay. also, it is not their job to formally let you know that your account has been canceled. no letter, no phone call, and no email. apparently it will cost them to send me an email and that's why they didn't send me an email regarding my account.

they won't let me pay for the $20, and they won't reinstate me. i have talking to the torrance club manager, the customer service manager. all they said was: your account has been terminated, there's nothing we can do about it. all they recommend is to PAY FOR ANOTHER MEMBERSHIP ! no kidding ! of course you would want another $800 from me !

i think this is very clear here, this is how 24 hr fitness ripe off/scam their customer: soon after the 3 yr (or 4 yr depends on your contract) of your "free period" is over, in my case, the 5th year, they will find a excuse related to your cheap membership fee ($20 or $50), blaming you for not paying and therefore they can automatically cancel your account. and no matter how many time u complain, they just won't re-activate it so that u have no choice but to pay for it again.

this is just a wrong way to do business. i'm waiting for a class action law suit.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/18/2011 03:23 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/24-hr-fitness/torrance-California-90505/24-hr-fitness-The-RIPE-OFF-fitness-club-in-torrance-California-684100. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on 24 hr fitness