Complaint Review: 33 Camera Street

• Updated: Thu, January 17, 2013

• Reported By: dan — Other Israel
33 Camera Street
43 West 33rd Street New York, New York United States of America

33 Camera Street SPECTRUM 33 LLC I saw their window advertisment offering iPhone 4 unlocked. They offered iPhone4 for $500, After I left the store I realized I was given a fake phone (made in china, Air Phone) New York, New York

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: 33 Street Camera

Well-planned scam from start to finish.

They advertise on the shop's front window an iPhone3, iPhone4 and various other smart phones. After I entered the shop, I asked about the price of an iPhone4, and the clear and unequivocal answer was that they have on stock an iPhone4 32GB which costs $500.

After a little small talk, in which revealed that i'm a foreign tourist leaving the city soon, they offered me to have a look at their souvenirs behind me. Once I get back to the desk to pay for the souvenirs, the phone box was already packed in a sealed and tied shopping bag. I didn't suspect for a moment that i'm just being ripoff at that very moment.

After leaving the shop, I opened the bag and shocked to see there's no iPhone 4 inside but instead a fake phone named Air Phone 4 which amazingly designed to have the same look as the original apple made. I immediately went back to the shop, and they firmly refused to cancel the deal. They claimed that they made it clear that it's not an original Apple iPhone, and that this phone is exactly the meaning of an unlocked iPhone.

Cynically, they offered me "ex gratia", to take a camera instead. Needless to say, their entire stock is overpriced old digital cameras.

From the first moment, they identified me as potential target for a ripoff, they made it very "professionally", thus I'm sure that this scam is done on a daily basis. They cleverly verified i'm leaving the shop without me having a chance to see the device box, they distracted me with the souvenirs, they had prepared answers for the moment I went back, they were cold and cynical, didn't blink for a moment. you could easily noticed it's just another ripoff scam job already done before few times.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/26/2011 10:45 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/33-Camera-Street/New-York-New-York-/33-Camera-Street-SPECTRUM-33-LLC-I-saw-their-window-advertisment-offering-iPhone-4-unlocke-687014. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on 33 Camera Street

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

33 Street Camera

AUTHOR: Joe Kuper - (United States of America)

This is 33 Street Camera talking.

The complaint should be only against SPECTRUM.

PLEASE: Take my name off the complaint web site.

I was an old Tenant in the space.

I moved out in 2009.

There must still be a sign with my name  somewhere that Spectrum left in place.

Spectrum rented the store in 2009.

The customer was sold by Spectrum.

I have nothing to do with Spectrum.

Spectrum, alone, pays the rent to landlord.

Joe Kuper