Complaint Review: 55 Tires and Service

• Updated: Tue, December 04, 2012

• Reported By: Phil — Saint Louis Missouri United States of America
55 Tires and Service
4309 Butler Hill Road Saint Louis, Missouri United States of America

55 Tires and Service 55 Tires and Service St. Louis, Missouri Dishonest Liars Who Will Screw You Over Saint Louis, Missouri

*UPDATE Employee: A bitter customer that we can't please

I went over to 55 tires and service to have my car looked over. They wanted to charge me $683.00 for what they said my car required.

I went to AutoZone and bought the parts they said I needed for $150.00 and was going to do the work myself because the price 55 tires and service quoted was ridiculous.

I took off the front tires and started to take the brake pads off when I saw that the pads looked brand new, more than 3/4 of the pad was left and this was on the right side front tire that they said was in really bad condition. Right there I knew they were lying to me about what my car needed!

I couldn't believe it, so I called up 55 Tires and service and told them what I just did and they had nothing but lame excuses on the phone and told me to bring it back and they will look at it again.

The next day I took the car back and showed them the brake pads that I took off the car and even showed some customers in the store. They had so many excuses but nothing they said made any real sense. They knew I caught them and they basically had nothing left to say. It is clear to me that they screw people over like this all the time and I just happened to catch them in the act!

I am contacting the State to try having their certificate revoked. Watch them very close, same for Dobbs, In fact I found out later that a brother of Dobbs tire and auto owns 55 tires and service so St. Louis beware! Way to screw people over. Keep far, far away from 55 tires and service.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/05/2011 09:15 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/55-Tires-and-Service/Saint-Louis-Missouri-63128/55-Tires-and-Service-55-Tires-and-Service-St-Louis-Missouri-Dishonest-Liars-Who-Will-Sc-691434. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on 55 Tires and Service

A bitter customer that we can't please

AUTHOR: 55tire - (USA)

To whom it may concern,

My name is Drew and I am a manager at 55 Tires and Service, and my father is the owner of 55 Tires and Service and started the business 15 years ago himself.  We have built a solid business in Saint Louis, have a convenient location and offer fair, honest car repair at a fair and decent price for our family, customers, and friends.  There is a negative review on the ripoff report  and I have some problems with it. First, This has been settled with the bbb along time ago, It was at least 3 years ago and I actually believe longer than that.  In that settlement with the bbb we not only refunded the customer his money for the inspections, we refunded the money he spent at autozone for the disc brake pads. It has since been closed and we currently have an A+ rating with them. We admitted fault and apologized. Also, as the manager here we cannot control everything our employees do. We trust our certified state inspectors and what they do. Not too make excuses but the inspector that was inspecting the car was a younger mechanic (who no longer works at 55 Tire) and too him the pads looked very thin and failed inspection. It is hard to see the pads in the caliper on these vehicles and basically the only way is too pull the caliper. This is why the customer didn't notice this till he replaced the pads in the caliper.  Second, this guy is trying to slander us and make us look bad, in the ripoff report which is dated on Saturday Feb. 5 2011, this happened over 3 to 4 years ago, why is this guy still trying to do this. I have proof that it older than three years ago, if you google search us and look at the google reviews, there are three of them and one of them is the same guy three years ago. Same complaint and everything, but there are some differences in this one isn't there.

Ripoff report :

Google Review:

A Google User reviewed 3 years ago

Overall Poor to fair

So last week I came home from the military to get my car licensed and i had to get it inspected first. I took it to 55 Tires because I heard they were reliable. I got a call from them a few hours after drop off saying that i needed new front and back brakes and rotors for my 2000 Volvo S40, O and of course I needed new wiper blades that they wanted $20.00 a piece for. They wanted to charge me $583.00 for the entire job. I picked up the car and went to autozone and bought the parts for $150.00 for everything and was going to do the work myself. I took of the front tires and started to take the brake pads off when i saw that the pads looked brand new, more then 3/4 of the pad was left and this was on the right side front tire that he said he took off and saw it was bad. I couldn't believe it, so i called up 55 Tire and told them what i just did and they had nothing but excuses on the phone and told me to bring it back and they will look at it again. The next day I took the car back and showed them the brake pads that i took off the car and showed some customers in the store. They had so many excuses, such as they just look at them while they are on the car so they cant really see if they are bad, well then why would you fail me for safety inspection is your not really inspecting. People dont get screwed over by them, I am contacting the state to try having their inspection certificate revoked. Watch them very close, same for dobbs, Infact i found out later that a brother of dobbs tire and auto owns this tire and auto, so St.Louis beware, Way to screw over the Military!!!!!!!

As you can see the price is one hundred dollars different, but there are some other problems with this report.  We do not sell wiper blades a $20 a piece not even now, which is three years later, we see pairs of wipers at $24.95 installed or premium michelin wipers at $34.95 installed this is current price as of 12/4/2012. Our prices, we do not sell autozone parts, we sell o.e.m. or equivalent especially if it is a foreign high end car. We gave this customer a complete estimate. Whenever we do brakes we recommend replacing or resurfacing the rotors, if you do not 9 times out of time you develop a brake squeak. We like to keep our customers happy and not have them come back in for squeaks and other things. This is why his brake job was high to him. On his volvo we gave him a price on front and rear brake pads, new rotors, wiper blades, and included his inspection for the state. This doesn't seem like that bad of a price considering a standard brake job on a domestic car at our shop today runs $259.95 for one axle, parts and labor.

This customer was very unhappy about this and was being very rude and disrespectful during the whole ordeal. He was very upset that his car did not pass inspection. We apologized to him about this and was minutes later telling other customers in the store about how we were crooks and this and that. He filed complaints with the bbb which was then handled and closed. He then got my father's name from the bbb signatures and went on to make a false statement about how we are affiliated with Dobbs tire and Auto in saint louis which is completely false. We have no affiliation with them. We do not screw people over and have built up a loyal customer base and have many regular customer's that we know by first name basis.

I feel we have done everything possible to please this customer and it is not good enough for him. He is making up lies and false statements years after this happened and had been closed by the bbb. This is hurting our business reputation online and off. We are trying to develop new customers through the internet and if this is one of the things they see it will not be a good first impression.

Sincerely,