Complaint Review: 7 Eleven

• Updated: Fri, October 09, 2009

• Reported By: Stephon — phoenix Arizona USA
7 Eleven
9910 w. indian school rd phoenix, Arizona United States of America

7 Eleven They refused to take my coins as legal tender for my purchase! And the cashier had the nerve to tell me that he saw other bills in my wallet to pay him with those. That is WRONG! phoenix, Arizona

*Consumer Comment: Ripoff?

*General Comment: Forgive my spelling and gramatical errors in the last comment.

*General Comment: You chose to ignore the stories and remain a loyal customer, other will do the same after reading your report.

I went to my neighborhood 7 Eleven, mind you that this store I have visited more times than I can ever recall. My wife, friend and I went to pay for our items and my friend handed me his money to pay for his share of the purchases. When I proceeded to pay the cashier and wanted to use change (2 dollars in quarters, dimes and nickels) he refused, then had the nerve to tell me that he saw that I had bills in my wallet and to pay him with those.

I said no to him, and proceeded to tell him that I was paying him with legal tender to which it should be accepted as form of payment. He was completly ignorant! I do not think that what I have in my wallet should be of any ones concern. I am outraged by this experience, they are part of a community and should want to keep the customers they have.

With the economy so bad companies can not afford to lose customers. Retention should be the number 1 priority, now I am going to tell anyone I know of my experience with them this evening. After all the stories I heard about them I stayed out of it and continued to be a loyal customer. They have really let me down :"(

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/09/2009 12:39 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/7-Eleven/phoenix-Arizona-85037/7-Eleven-They-refused-to-take-my-coins-as-legal-tender-for-my-purchase-And-the-cashier-h-506702. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on 7 Eleven

Ripoff?

AUTHOR: Edgeman - (U.S.A.)

I have read this report and it reminded me of the good ol' days when I managed a C-store. First things first - the cashier behaved poorly. No question about it.

However, this doesn't quite qualify as a rip-off. The cashier wasn't obligated to accept the money after you offered it. The fact that coins are legal tender does not mean that someone must accept them if he or she doesn't want to. You were inconvenienced but you weren't ripped off.

The cashier more than likely didn't want to have to count the coins when he closed out his register. That's no excuse - it's part of his job and he certainly wasn't providing good customer service. It's just that there is nothing in Arizona law that says that he had to accept your coins.

Inappropriate? Yes.

Insulting? Probably.

Ripoff? No.

#2 General Comment

Forgive my spelling and gramatical errors in the last comment.

AUTHOR: Inspector - (USA)

I am having an off day.

#3 General Comment

AUTHOR: Inspector - (USA)

I worked as a manager in one of these stores a while back and just want to fill you in on some facts.

Despite the high prices these stores make on an average 8 to 12 thousand dollars a day.  We would triple the prices on our seasonal items, like batteries during Christmas and still people would buy them.  Drug makers would buy all the starter fluid.  Drug takers buying the psuedo-fedrine products the adorn the impulse racks at the counter.

The families on welfare would come in once a month and spend all their food allotment on soda, cookies, cakes, candy, ice cream, and ready serve dinners.

Believe me, these stores are not suffering during these hard economical times and they won't miss your business.  This is not an excuse for the deplorable behavior of the associate, just some facts.