Complaint Review: 86th Street Photo & Video

• Submitted: Fri, May 16, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, May 16, 2008

• Reported By:Lansing Michigan
86th Street Photo & Video
2845 86th Street Brooklyn, New York U.S.A.

86th Street Photo & Video High priced accessories Brooklyn New York

I purchased a GPS unit from this "business". The unit itself had a low, attractive price. After I placed my order a rep from the company called me to "verify the expiration date of my credit card". When I got on the phone, the person verifying my information complimented me on my purchase decision, told me what a great unit I was buying and mentioned that it needed a memory card to operate. I asked the person about this because I had read on both their website and others that the unit was capable of storing 500 waypoints and points of interest (way more than I would probably ever use). They said that the unit did not have enough memory to store that many waypoints or POI's. I was on my cell phone so could not verify the information on the spot. I unfortunately agreed to purchase the memory card and then was also told that I should buy an AC power charger as well. As soon as I returned to my office, I pulled the website back up and saw that the information did in fact say that it would store 500 waypoints and POI's. I immediately tried to call the company and there was no answer. I looked into their website a little more before trying to call them again; I saw that their cancellation policy is that they charge you 10% for cancelling your order. I did not want to pay 10% (would have been $95) for nothing so I decided to try to just cancel the accessories. When I called back, their rep told me that the unit had already shipped and I could not cancel. The company also charges a 20% restocking fee but the salespeople will not tell you that. The salesperson mentioned that they had a 21 day return policy and that I would have to pay shipping, I then asked about the 20% and he told me that he knew nothing about that. My guess is that you ship the equipment back and they charge you the 20% anyway. I looked at the memory card; it is just a regular 2GB memory card that you can buy about anywhere else for about $25, they charged me about $200 more than that. The power charger was only $30 but one also came in the box, so the purchase was not necessary. This is a terrible company; I would never recommend doing business with them to anyone. If their business practices are not illegal, they are definitely, at best, unethical.

Doug
Lansing, Michigan

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/16/2008 09:05 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/86th-Street-Photo-Video/Brooklyn-New-York-11223/86th-Street-Photo-Video-High-priced-accessories-Brooklyn-New-York-333077. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on 86th Street Photo & Video