Complaint Review: 911 Self Defense

• Submitted: Mon, March 15, 2010
  • Updated: Wed, July 13, 2011

• Reported By: Marcel — San Antonio Texas USA
911 Self Defense
100 Crossroads Blvd, San Antonio, Texas San Antonio, Texas United States of America

911 Self Defense Krav Maga San Antonio Stop! Think about it.Still interested? Think again. San Antonio, Texas

*General Comment: For the Record

*Consumer Comment: I have to disagree

*General Comment: 03/2011 free class @ krav maga

*Author of original report: Respponse

*Consumer Comment: Please Explain Why You Didn't Like the Training

I stepped out of the fire and went right into the frying pan. I entered this "state of the art" facility with the hopes of having something different to be apart of. Having just cancelled my membership with Golds Gym I wanted to do something different. I saw a very interesting commercial one day introducing Krav Maga,and thought to myself now that is the type of fighting style for me. I signed up recieved a free class and absolutely loved it. If i knew that moment would be the only happines I encountered I would have Never came back. I went from Hey its my first class I love it to what the hell did I get myself into in the matter of 3 weeks which was the equivalent to 3 classes. They claim this is a state of the art facility and you are recieving the best possible training. The truth is you are recieving the only option for Krav Maga in San Antonio or at least that was my situation at the time. It is now March I signed uo in October and havent been there since Novemeber and they are married to my pocketbook until 10/2011. I am obviousely wasting my money,but instead of sulking about the wasted cash I thought I would be proactive and may prevent someone else from making the same mistake I did. You will be handled with care come your first class they really roll out the red carpet for you,but that magic carpet ride will be over once you are charged for first month and realize your wasting your money in my case im paying 70.00 a month for this piece of shitaki mushrooms:). I have seen tree houses with more technological advancements than this. Maybe they figure having a kiosk station with an outdated computer is modern? it would seem they spent more time wording the airtight contract you sign.I know you are asking yourself if its that bad than why even sign up? Honestly I dont even know,but does the term pigeon dropper mean anything to you. I went in there with the intention of 1 trying it out.2 going home,thinking about it.3 making my decision. Step 2 was wiped clean when I sat down and talked to the sales rep.If you want to waste your money there are far more rewarding options for you. My suggestion buy a tae bo video,a 1985 Macintosh a dirty old floor mat from a random garage sale and call it a day. I was the sucker will you be the DUm Dum?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/15/2010 10:16 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/911-Self-Defense/San-Antonio-Texas-78201/911-Self-Defense-Krav-Maga-San-Antonio-Stop-Think-about-itStill-interested-Think-again-581157. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on 911 Self Defense

#1 General Comment

For the Record

AUTHOR: ddw1959 - ()

July 2013:  I went to the Place, Now under the title STW911 or WorldWide Krav Maga.  I used the one on blanco.

they showed me the place and set me up for a saturday KM1 class for me and my two teen boys.  They were up front and clear on my initial visit that they only do 1 and 2 year contracts. I had to ask , but they did not dodge that it is a contract and if you break it you still have to pay.  This is not uncommon for many martial arts schemes.

We showed up, joined the regular KM1 class, had a great work out and learned some good stuff.  Afterward I had a casual chat withthe sales guy and he listened as I begged off and said to call if I decided to join up.  No heat, no pressure.

Wasn't our bag.  but felt all was up front and straight.

Just thought I'd chime in for a current experience.

David

I have to disagree

AUTHOR: natalie - (United States of America)

As a member of Krav Maga since 2006, I have to disagree with the above remarks. I believe it is the company's duty to inform us members of every detail involved with a membership. However, being ripped off  from previous gyms, I made sure to ask multiple obnoxious questions regarding payments.

I have never had any problems with billing ever. Also, the new Crossroads gym is truly remarkable compared to other self defense gyms in San Antonio. A member will get out of a membership what they put in, no matter where you go! Krav Maga is not for wimps or those full of excuses. Get in it, and give it your all. And obviously you haven't been back in quite a while. The facility has changed with multiple new added classes. The parking lot is jammed packed and almost impossible to find a spot (and it's not because of Gold's Gym either!). Honestly, I would recommend this place to ANYONE that's willing to give it their all. If not, then stay at Gold's Gym.

#3 General Comment

03/2011 free class @ krav maga

AUTHOR: swollen knuckles - (United States of America)

I went to a free trial class at the Krav Maga gym located in San Antonio Texas.  I showed up early and was given a tour of the gym, it wasn't posh like Golds Gym or even Planet Fitness, but they definitely had a set up that was geared towards workouts and self defense training.  The class started on the dot at 12pm and we were off, we did punching bag workout that lasted 20 minutes then we went to strength training that lasted 20 minutes then some cario that lasted 20 minutes.
  After I finished the workout I sat down with one of the "salespersons" and we discussed the options for membership-I know for a fact that two other people were there on a trial basis & what I could observe they signed up on the spot.  I was firm but polite that I my intention was to try out the class and then do some number crunching within my own budget.  I know they would have prefered me to sign up right there and then, but they accepted my decision and I went home.

The workout was intense, if you haven't worked out in any capacity in the last 5 years I suggest you try and run 3 miles or bench press half your weight-even the minor workingout leading to these activities will prepare you more than just going in cold like i did.  I thought the trainer was good, he was motivating, but not pushy or obnoxious.  He understood this wasn't Parris Island & he wasn't Gysgt Hartman although I did get flashbacks a few times.

I'm still weighing the options of returning and signing up-im not looking to be babied or for one on one, just to participate in a workout twice a week and I think i've found the place for me.  I'm just going to let the swelling from my knuckles go down a bit & then i'll most likely return as a member.

The gym does not resemble the commercial, either here nor the one they broadcast in Austin, but it was a good work out and the facalities were adequate-If the rough exterior of the gym throws you off just remember Rocky did his best training in a gym located in the ghetto & a barn in russia.

Respponse

AUTHOR: Marcel Giles - (USA)

Your response was more of a personal request don't you think? Here is my suggestion to you sign up for the free class and see for yourself.

My comments were thoroughly explained and my intent was clear.,but to answer your question I have been cursed with being left handed. The free trial class was pretty universal. I felt very confident after that first class that it was going to be a good idea.So yea I signed up and came back,but that second class was completely different. I didnt get that one on one attention I got during that introductory class. It was more of me asking a question and receiving a one word response.So it is easy for me to feel like a 200 pound bass that just fell for the good ol hook line and sinker.

When it comes to signing up for things I had the tendency to be impulsive something that has changed with my maturation,but if you read my comment properly you will see that I'm not trying to get out of paying. I accepted that part of it,but once again I am trying to prevent someone else from making my mistake.Take my comment for what its worth,and if you are so interested give it a try.

Please Explain Why You Didn't Like the Training

AUTHOR: Michael - (U.S.A.)

I can't speak to whether the instruction is any good or not at the Krav Maga school you went to becuase I've never been there and don't know much of anything about it.

BUT...

You have given absolutely NO INFORMATION about why you didn't like the training at this place.  You did mention feeling ripped off because you are caught up in a contract and I can certainly empathize with that.  Contracts at martial arts school (in my opinion) suck and I think that many of them can be rip offs.  But didn't you read the contract before you signed it?  Did you take some notes and tell the sales person that you would sleep on it and get back with them??  If you did, and they shifted into a "hard sell" mode, then that should have been a big red flad.

Anyway, I'm not saying your complaint isn't valid but PLEASE tell us more about this place and why you didn't like the actual training.