• Report: #20216

• Submitted: Sat, May 04, 2002
  • Updated: Tue, May 20, 2003

• Reported By:Seattle Washington
99 Cents Only Stores
145 Country Club Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.

99 Cents Only Stores are consumer rip-off scam companies. Fraudulent & false advertising. Mesa, Arizona

*Consumer Comment: Rebuttal

*Consumer Comment: I am also a victim on Saturday, May 4, 2002

I went into the 99 Cents Only Store for the first time in my life today with my children. I am trying to teach them appropriate consumer behavior and letting them know what their rights are. Several items were marked as 2/$1.00 and 3/$1.00 but when they got to the counter, they were told that they were $1.00 each. I asked to speak to Reuben, the manager, who was not available, but did speak with Benjamin. I took Benjamin to the prices marked and he told me that of the 15 different items, every single one of them was supposedly "placed in the wrong spot." He told me that it is very plain to see that they would not be sold for such a low price. I said that is why I came here in the first place. Why would I spend more at their store than I would at Wal-Mart? Benjamin was rude and condescending because I was "just trying to get a bargain." To quote Hoovers: "99 Cents Only Stores are the nation's oldest existing one-price retailer. This deep discount chain offers a wide assortment of consumer items priced at 99 cents per packaged unit. It also sells merchandise through its Bargain Wholesale division, primarily to discount retailers." How have they done so well? On the backs of unsuspecting consumers who fall prey to their bait & switch tactics. I had checked out the company with the Better Business Bureau and this is what they had to say: "Our complaint history for this company shows that this business has a clear record. To date, no customer complaints have come to our attention..." I doubt it would do any good to tell them. Besides, who's going to do anything for less than a buck? Danny Taylor, Arizona

EDitor's Note to the above:

The Rip-off Report has learned that the CEO and Agent (and his addresses) is: HAU THI NGUYEN 4555 W SOLANO DR GLENDALE, AZ 85301 AND 3031 E INDIAN SCHOOL RD #17-19 PHOENIX, AZ 85016 480-756-0909

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/04/2002 09:44 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/99-Cents-Only-Stores/Mesa-Arizona-85024/99-Cents-Only-Stores-are-consumer-rip-off-scam-companies-Fraudulent-false-advertising-20216. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on 99 Cents Only Stores

Rebuttal

AUTHOR: Randy - (U.S.A.)

I was browsing around looking for some franchise opportunities when I came across this site. I am a long time shopper at 99c stores and dollar stores. The bargains can't be beat. To the parent with the bad experience: I must admit, after years of shopping at 99c stores, I have also found some price discrepancies. But very rarely considering the overwhelming bulk of products that going flying out the door.

Actually, more often than not, some items were incorrectly marked in the shoppers favor and they would always gladly sell the item at a loss until the mistake was corrected. I can describe to you several examples that I have benefited from. Out of all the 99c stores I visited, I have always received above average to good service. I can never say that I felt there was any bait and switch tatics going on at those stores. I mean, bate someone to come in for one 99c item only to trick them into buying another 99c item. No it doesn't make sense. Deliberate bait and switch tatics are done at new car dealers and electronic stores, not 99c stores.
If I may add, I think when youre dealing with such stores as those, it's expected to occassionally run across problems due to employee error, out-of-stock stuff, etc.

They have to keep overhead low so some areas of service are bound to suffer. It's part of getting the bargains. Mistakes, rude people are part of the shopping experience from 99c stores to Rodeo drive.

But I must admit it took me several months of trial and error to learn what were the real bargains and what were not-so-good-bargins were. For example, sometimes you buy an item at the 99c store for 99c (of course) only to find a better brand at the supermarket or drug store for 89c or something like that. They don't promise you that everything is a bargain or the guaranteed lowest price in town.

Now, I don't experiment with strange products. I just buy the items that I know are a good value then do the rest of my shopping at Vons or Albertsons (with a fistfull of coupons).There have been a few times that I have been able to buy items for 99c that sold elsewhere for $10 to $15 dollars! Final comment. I think overall those bargain stores are providing people with a money saving place to shop. And it seems that a lot of their customers can use the assistance. RD

I am also a victim on Saturday, May 4, 2002

AUTHOR: Susan - ()

I was probably at the same "Under-a-Buck" Store when this person was. I saw a whole row of candy marked at 2 and 3 for a dollar. When I got to the check out counter I was told they were all 99 cents each.

When I pointed out the large bars of Nestle's Crunch and the large boxes of Mike & Ike, which were marked 3 for a dollar to a tall Hispanic man in a white shirt. He called me ridiculous and I was so mad I walked out.

Who are these people, who can flaunt the law and disrespect people in the process. I know it isn't much money but it is the philosophy that makes me want to puke. I hope they get investigated.