Complaint Review: A-1 Kaylor Painting

• Updated: Tue, November 05, 2013

• Reported By: Deshka — Anchorage Alaska
A-1 Kaylor Painting
4500 E. 135th Ave Anchorage, Alaska USA

A-1 Kaylor Painting Extremely poor customer service and failure to complete the job Anchorage Alaska

I do not recommend this company for exterior house painting.  I have never been treated so badly by a contractor in my 22 years of living in Anchorage.  The behavior displayed by the owner of this company is inexcuseable.

Ron Kaylor promised that his company stood by its reputation of quality work completed by expereinced, trained painters that he personally supervised.  He provided an estimate that was one third higher than the other two estimates, but assured me the quality of his work would be well worth the expense.  To substantiate his boast, he explained that a team of painters would first sand the walls since the house had not been painted for several years.  Then his team would apply several coats of paint on the walls hit by the sun the most.  He stated several times work was warrantied and he would put a sign in the front yard to advertise his company.  He also stated he personally inspects the completion of every job with the customer to assure satisfaction.

In May of 2013, I signed a contract with A-1Kaylor Painting to paint the exterior of my house.  At the contract signing, I noticed that the decks were to be painted the same color as the body of the home.  I addressed this with Ron, stating the decks were to be painted the trim color.  Ron made the change on his copy of the contract.  I also emailed him the color selection shortly after the contract signing.  I did not hear from Ron for 5 days after I emailed him, so I called to confirm he recieved the color selections and that they were appropriate.  He sounded anoyed that I called and stated he had recieved it, but was very busy and did not know when he would start the job.  I never asked him when he would start, but I attributed his rudeness to being busy.

During the last week of June 2013, a man showed up at the house and began sanding the back wall.  When he left after two hours, he stated he would be back the next day with help.  He did not return until two weeks later, spent another two hours sanding, and then left promising to return the next day with help.  This pattern continued every week in July.  Only one guy, sanding the back wall, spend two hours, leave.  Then he did not return until the first Wednesday in August. The same day, I recieved a voicemail from Ron Kaylor.  He was very escalated, yelling that I had selected a color paint that would not cover the old trim color and it will cost me another 500 dollars to have him use the color I selected.  I called him back imediately, and he was still escalated.  His fist words were "you have a problem!"  After listening to him rant and yell about how much he was going to charge me, I asked if I could pick another color.  He paused and said, "sure, email it to me."  I then asked about the trim boards of the house and wanted to make sure he would paint them the same color as the trim.  He bcame escalated again and stated that was not in the contract.  I told him his worker had said it was no problem.  Ron yelled "It will cost you 200 to paint the trim boards the trim color!"  I don't think he realized what he was saying.

Later that evening, I emailed Ron with the new trim color and infomed him I was willing to pay the 200 to have the trim boards painted the trim color.  I never recieved a response from him.

At this point, the workerhad begun priming the back wall.  He worked for two days and then did not return until the next week, with one other man as a helper.  My concern was that the job was not even one fourth of the way done and we were entering the rainy season.   The two men painted for two days before the rain started.  They returned for two hours on the third day, but could not complete the deck work since it was exposed to the rain.  However, they had painted the decks the same color as the house.  The worker stated he would paint it correctly tomorrow.  However, the next day, he stated Ron told him he was not allowed to change the decks.  Not wanting to deal with an irate Ron, I let it go.

The two men worked through the rest of the week and even came on Saturday to finish the job.  During the walk around inspection, there wer several areas that required touch ups, many missed spots and the garage door needed to be re-stained due to paint splatter.  They hurriedly painted the spots identified and redid the garage door, but needed to leave.  Of course, since the walk around occurred, they wanted a check for the final payment before they left.  While handing them the check, one of the workers stated that Ron never charges for trim boards to be painted.  This was the final insult and why I wrote this review.

BTW, the first worker returned a week later to re-coat the garage door.  He offered to do more touch ups.  So I directed him to the deck where most of the railing had missed spots all over.  He repainted it no problem, except after he left, it began raining and all the paint he applied was washed off, leaving the railing a milky white color.

Main complaints:

Ron Kaylor is an angry man and not pleasant to deal with after you give him money.

It took three and a half months for the job to be completed.

There was never a team of expereinced painters to complete the job.

My house was not completed per the contract, despite Ron's assurances he would paint the decks the trim color.

The entire house was not sanded as promised.  Only half of the back wall was completed.

Only one coat of paint was put on the decks.

The deck paint washed away in the rain.

They did not clean the windows, which have paint stains and tape marks all over.

Thankfully, they never placed a sign in my front yard.

I never recieved a follow up call from the company or Ron asking about my satisfaction and he sure as heck never did a final inspection of the job.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/05/2013 03:13 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/A-1-Kaylor-Painting/Anchorage-Alaska/A-1-Kaylor-Painting-Extremely-poor-customer-service-and-failure-to-complete-the-job-Ancho-1097178. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on A-1 Kaylor Painting