Complaint Review: A O L

• Reported By:altoona Pennsylvania
A O L
aol.com Internet U.S.A.

A O L steals credit card numbers, fraud, Sterling Internet

*Consumer Comment: Never had a problem myself.

AOL where to start. I bought a new Dell computer about 8 months ago and was given FREE 6 months of AOL. I at no time used my credit card for this. After reading how AOL cheats, steals,and harasses it customers I emailed them telling them I did not want their free service any more ( I swithched to Verizon ) I still had about 1 1/2 months of free AOL left.

A little later after my 6 months Free subscription was up, they sent me a letter saying that my account was over due. I wrote them a letter telling them that I cancelled them and owed them nothing this was a free promotion from Dell, and that I had informed them in advance of my 6 Free months that I was leaving and not to bother me.

Well lo and behold about 3 months later I get a bill payment due from a credit card that I had payed off in full months earlier and had not used it since. Well guess who charged me for services that I did not want or use, yea your right.What pi**es me off is that they got my credit card number illegally because I never gave it to them.

I contacted AOL again and told them the sitiuation,they said that they would take care of it. I also contacted my credit card company and filed a dispute with the charges and informrd them that if I was charged again by AOL that I would not pay and will be looking into fraud charges. This has been only a couple of days since this happened but I want to inform anyone thinking about using ANYTHING from AOL, to forget it.

Oh yea AOL keeps messages that you send to the new places that have an item and that you respond to it called "post your thoughts" I know for a fact because they quoted me a message that I had sent about 2 1/2 months earlier. What's that all about? Be careful.

Ronald
altoona, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/28/2006 11:08 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/A-O-L/internet/A-O-L-steals-credit-card-numbers-fraud-Sterling-Internet-222621. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on A O L

Never had a problem myself.

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

I tried their free service but in order to do so, had to give a credit card number. Apparently they are hoping that you will just stay with the service and continue billing. Anyway, I called after a month and canceled. No biggie.
However, if you allegedly didn't have to go through this same route, how would they have gotten your credit card number?