Complaint Review: A to Z Construction & Handyman Services

• Updated: Thu, December 20, 2012

• Reported By: RT — Orlando Florida United States of America
A to Z Construction & Handyman Services
8243 Pamlico Street Orlando, Florida United States of America

A to Z Construction & Handyman Services "Handy" Andy Carlin Unlicensed contractor charging for fake estimates under someone else's license Orlando, Florida

*Consumer Comment: I have to agree

*Consumer Comment: A to Z is trustworthy and ethical

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: This report is fraudulent and slanderous

Beware! "Handy" Andy Carlin is NOT a licensed contractor! As of 2/8/12 he only has a PENDING application for "Construction Financial Officer". The Certified Building Contractor number 1257435 that he is advertizing belongs to Michael M. Merolle. I have never seen or been able to get in contact with Mr. Merolle. I don't know if he is the business owner or even affiliated with the business. Details of my complaint are below:

I contacted A to Z Handyman Services via the company website on February 3, 2012 about getting an estimate for work pertaining to a kitchen remodel. I was contacted by Andy on the phone and I described my need to convert a double exterior door to a single door in order to change the layout of my kitchen. This would involve putting in a new single door, closing and finishing the opening for the removed door, moving the water line for the refrigerator, and relocating an electrical outlet. He said he could do the work and would have to come out to give me an estimate. I agreed, and we eventually settled on a time. He arrived on the evening of February 6, 2012 to provide the estimate.

I showed him the kitchen area where I needed the work completed and I again went over the entire list of items I wanted done. I even showed him a sketch of the new layout so he understood where the fridge and new cabinets would be located. He was only at my home for about 15 minutes, took some measurements, and then said all of the things I needed would be no problem. He gave me a verbal price quote of $1500 total for materials and labor. He said that price allowed for a new door cost of $350 but it may be more or less based on the cost of the door I wanted. He said that he would call me the next day with the door price and that was the only item that would change the quote.  I told him it sounded very reasonable. I asked about permitting requirements for the door but he told me he would not get any permits because it was just an unnecessary expense that was not required for this type of work. I thanked him for his time and he then informed me that there is an "estimate charge" of $85.00 that I needed to pay that day! I was reluctant and told him that any estimates I've ever requested were always free. He told me not to worry that he would refund the fee when he completes the work. Since I was happy with his price quote, I agreed to pay the charge since it would be refunded anyway.

The next day, he called and told me that the door I wanted would be $550 rather than $350 but was much better quality. The total for the job would now be $1700. I told him that was okay and I was ready to move forward with the work. I again asked to go over the details and confirm that the price includes all the materials and labor to install the new door, repair the wall, moving of the  electric, and moving of the water line so we can put it in writing. He then said it would not include the electrical move unless there was already enough cord in the wall. If there was not enough cord it would be $200 - $300 more for an electrician. He also said that he would just run a pipe through the new cabinets I planned to install from the location of the current water line to the new location of the refrigerator rather than moving any plumbing. I was very shocked and told him that I explicitly went over all of these details with him and I had expected him to move the actual plumbing valve that was on the wall to the new location. I didn't want any pipes running through my new cabinets. He told me there was no valve to move and I assured him there was, and I even checked behind the refrigerator to verify. He told me I didn't know what I was talking about but if I wanted any plumbing moved that would be another $400 or more.

It was now going to be almost $1000 more than his original quote!! I told him this was way out of the budget I expected and he argued with me for a few more minutes before we hung up. I called him back shortly and let him know that I was still very upset about this situation because I explicitly went over the details while he was at my home. I expressed that I was unhappy that he didn't verify the plumbing behind the refrigerator or look at the electrical outlet to verify that there was enough cord while he was at my house so that he could have given me an accurate estimate. He was paid for his time and didn't even inspect the area properly. He became hostile and was yelling at me and talking over me screaming that I didn't know anything about construction. I said that this is getting very unprofessional and that I wanted my money refunded since he did not properly inspect the area, didnt try to fully understand my needs, didnt ask questions to verify, and
didn't give me an accurate estimate for the work. He laughed and told me he was not giving me my money back. We hung up and then he later called me back and said that he would consider sending me half of the money back and I told him he can do that but I would still be pursuing a full refund as he did not provide a proper estimate which is what he was paid to do.

Beware! In my opinion this company is not reputable and is not conducting proper licensed business! I have a feeling I will not see any of my money back... Stay away or you'll be out of $85 too!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/08/2012 08:52 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/A-to-Z-Construction-Handyman-Services/Orlando-Florida-32817/A-to-Z-Construction-Handyman-Services-Handy-Andy-Carlin-Unlicensed-contractor-charging-835842. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on A to Z Construction & Handyman Services

I have to agree

AUTHOR: CharlesW - ()

I have had Andy Carlin of A to Z Construction and Handyman Services do work for me in the past. They have always been reliable and do what has been outlined. The $85 fee is non refundable. No refund equals no refund at the end of the day, even if you don't like the price. You can't waste a professionals time for free. Why compromise the work and risk his licensing and livelihood. Doesn't make sense.

Sounds like Andy was cornered into a no win situation. Do the work and put your business at risk or decline the job and tick the guy off.

A to Z is trustworthy and ethical

AUTHOR: mgcoudriet - (USA)

Before A to Z Construction and Handyman Services did any work on our home. I talked to Andy, the owner, about this bad review that I had seen online at length. It turns out that there is certainly 2 sides to every story. Andy went above and beyond to make the individual happy but to no avail. I suppose they woke up on the wrong side of the bed that day.

Anyhow, A to Z Construction and Handyman Services did a great job in our new home in Winter Springs. You would think that by purchasing a new home. Nothing would need to be done. Far from it! Here is a list of some of the work we had them do. Install ceiling fans, build desks and misc. pre-packaged furniture, hang photo frames and mirrors, add cabinet knobs, move heavy furniture, hang large white boards in our home offices,repair furniture (we had some dressers that had drawers that stuck), hook up the washer and dryer, hang book shelves, install wire shelves in closets and lastly, a couple of minor drywall repairs. I am sure that I am forgetting some things too.

Both guys that came were very professional, respectful and helpful. The guys were as quite as could be when working.

We are going to have them come back soon as we have more projects that need to be done. I could not recommend their services more highly!

#3 REBUTTAL Owner of company

This report is fraudulent and slanderous

AUTHOR: A to Z - (United States of America)

Russel Timmons called me to get an estimate on what he described as a simple closing in of a doorway.  He was made aware that I would give him a rough idea of the cost of his project over the phone, if he could tell me exactly what he needed to get done.  We discussed his project in what I thought was great detail.  He then told me he would like my estimate in writing.  I explained to him at that time there was an $85 estimate fee if I went out to his home and did the measuring in order to fine tune his exact scope of work. He proceeded to set the appointment.  I called Mr. Timmons as agreed upon two days later, again I confirmed the estimate fee before I went and he told me he understood, he was home and to come on over.  He then proceeded to give me a full definition of what he really needed to get done.  I explained to him at that time the work he now wanted done would require a plumber and an electrician to complete it legally.  He told me it did not and I should be able to just do it his way.  I again tried to explain to him that we were building contractors and separate licenses were required to do the additional work.  He told me he understood, wrote me a check for the estimate fee and I left.  The following day, after talking with the various suppliers and sub contractors required to get his pricing, I called Mr Timmons back, in order to give him his quote, as discussed. He did not like the price and still felt the need to tell me that I should be able to do the work he wanted without a licensed plumber and electrician, legal or not.  He then demanded his money back.  I tried to explain to him although he was not going to put me in a position where I would have to do work illegally, I still put my time in as discussed and the estimate fee would not be refunded.  He then proceeded to threaten me and say if I did not return his money he would leave bad reviews all over the internet. So folks here in lies the rub. Even if you're an honest, professional business person, look what it gets you.  Bad reviews!