Complaint Review: A1 Leasing/Startup Essentials

• Updated: Thu, April 17, 2014

• Reported By: Cindy — Marion Ohio
A1 Leasing/Startup Essentials
2007 Eastern Ave SE Grand Rapids, Michigan USA

A1 Leasing/Startup Essentials A1 Leasing, Bond Corp, Startup Essentials A1 Leasing scammed me and gave me defective products and services Grand Rapids Michigan

In early 2006 I was contacted by A1 Leasing/Startup Essentials because I was looking for a way to take credit cards at craft fairs that I sold products. I was also interested in opening an online store for my products. I was told by the sales person that the computer I would receive was top of the line with a card reader. Like the readers you see in the keyboards at the store. When I received the laptop there was no reader on it. I immediately called A1 and was told that the reader was software on the laptop.  So satisfied with the answer I booted the laptop and started to go through the "training materials" that were installed on the laptop on how to use the software. That lasted about 3 days. I had booted the laptop on a coffee table in my living room and left it to go grab a cup of coffee. Its a good thing I have fire extinguishers because the computer caught fire. Not sure what caused it but after researching that model of Acer it apparently had defective batteries that did that sometimes.

I called A1 customer service and explained the situation to the girl who placed me on hold to speak with a supervisor. I sat on the phone for 3 hours before suddenly getting disconnected. This happened several times over the course of several months.  At this point all I wanted was a new computer so I could use the services and get credit card payments for my business.

I continued calling regularly until one day the number I called just went dead. So it would ring once and then nothing.  I finally gave up calling, but continued paying the monthly fees because I had been told that no matter what I was obligated.

In 2008 I lost my income and had to get a job which didn't pay nearly as much as I used to make. So I had to start cutting back. I decided paying for a product and services that I had never been able to use was pointless and closed my account. I also figured that now A1 might contact me and I could get the matter resolved by either getting out of the contract.  I never heard from them.

I did get a couple of letters in the mail stating that I missed a payment. So I called the number and once again spoke to someone and explained the laptop fire. They put me on hold and then I would mysteriously get disconnected.

After that I received a class action lawsuit notice in the mail and read it carefully. It said that only people with current accounts were eligable for the suit. I wasn't current so I ignored the suit.

In 2010 I received a threatening phone call from Stuart Allen and Associates regarding A1 leasing. They said I broke the contract and that I owed 6460. I informed them that if anyone had broken the contract it was A1 for providing me a defective computer and services that I couldn't use because of the defective computer.  The person on the phone threatened to come repossess my car until I paid them.  I continued to argue with the person that I didn't owe this money and would not pay it because they sent me bad equipment. He finally called me several swear names and then hung up.

I have not heard from them since.

What I don't understand is where they got the 6 grand from. I paid almost 2 years on the contract and the original amount was for 5168. So my payments of $125 would have totalled close to 2500. Which would mean they should be asking for a around 3000 not 6000.

The collection is listed on my credit report and I am trying to get a mortgage. This account is a problem and needs to be cleared up.  I have disputed it with the credit agency but there is no word on it yet.

Has anyone successfully gotten this off your credit report without paying them?

Thanks,

Cindy

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/16/2014 03:02 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/A1-LeasingStartup-Essentials/Grand-Rapids-Michigan-49507/A1-LeasingStartup-Essentials-A1-Leasing-Bond-Corp-Startup-Essentials-A1-Leasing-scamme-1139208. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on A1 Leasing/Startup Essentials