• Report: #319960

• Submitted: Fri, March 21, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, March 31, 2008

• Reported By:Oakland California
AACC - Asset Acceptance
assetacceptance.com Warren, Michigan U.S.A.

AACC - Asset Acceptance harrassing phone calls RE: $17 charge allegedly made and not paid in 1993 Warren Michigan

*Consumer Suggestion: SUGGESSTION

This started last September 2007 when I received a phone call from Asset Acceptance telling me I owed a debt of $17 and change for a charge that was made on a JC Penney store card in 1993. I asked them to send me something that proved I owed the debt. They said they sent me a letter in July 2007 and that because I didn't respond that they were under no obligation to prove I owed it now as my non-response indicated that I agreed that I owed it. I laughed and told them to get real! The woman then said "please verify your social security number for us" I said NO. How do I know this isn't an identity theft scam? I am not giving any personal info - you have to prove to me that I owe this. She agreed to send me a letter with proof etc. I never received a letter and didn't hear from them for the next 6 months. Now in March 2008 I am getting daily phone calls at different times. It is the same each time with an automated message telling me if I continue to listen I am acknowledging I am the person and owe the debt. I have caller id so I just let it go to VM or occasionally pick up and hang up. How can I get this to stop???? I really don't believe that I owe the debt, the statute in my state is way over for lawsuits etc so I am not afraid - however this is ridiculous!!!

Hbh
Oakland, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/21/2008 12:02 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AACC-Asset-Acceptance/Warren-Michigan/AACC-Asset-Acceptance-harrassing-phone-calls-RE-17-charge-allegedly-made-and-not-paid-319960. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AACC - Asset Acceptance

AUTHOR: J.r. - (U.S.A.)

Send them a written cease and desist letter and also send one to the Attorney Generals office in the state the agency is in. Plus the account is past statue and they cannot make you pay it. Never call the agency always send in writing. If they continue calling document each time they call, then file a small claims court against them, you can get up to 1,000 per infraction.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

SUGGESSTION

AUTHOR: Mn - (U.S.A.)

I had a similar situation with Asset Acceptance. However you do have a weapon at your disposal.

They are REQUIRED by law to PROVE that the debt is your debt BEFORE they can put it on your credit report, this is called validating the debt. Which means that they have to produce something in writing or audio that validates that this debt is actually yours.

What you do is write them a letter asking them to validate the debt, I followed the one on this site:

BE SURE TO SEND THIS VIA US POSTAL SERVICE RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED. (NOT FEDX OR UPS)

I then waited the 30 days, when they had not contacted me back with proof and did not remove the mark off my credit report I reprinted the letter with the new date, with an additional line at the top, stating "THIS IS MY SECOND REQUEST FOR YOU TO VALIDATE THIS DEBT". I then gave them 2 additional weeks to validate the debt.

I attached a copy of the first letter along with the a copy of the return receipt proving to them that I knew they signed for it. I waited the next 2 weeks.

When they had not responded for the second time, I sent both letters for request for validation, to the credit bereaus and ask them per FDCPA Section 809. Validation of debts [15 USC 1692g] please require Asset Acceptance to VALIDATE this debt immediately or remove it from my credit report.

If you follow these steps I am confident you will be successful. Good luck