Complaint Review: AAMCO TRANSMISSIONS

• Updated: Thu, October 13, 2011

• Reported By: joe — kirby Texas United States of America
AAMCO TRANSMISSIONS
5038 rigsby ave san antonio, Texas United States of America

AAMCO TRANSMISSIONS informed me that my transmission was fine and was something minor was the problem san antonio, Texas

*Consumer Comment: SOUNDS FAMILIAR

*General Comment: MasterMechanic Jim, Typical AAMCO scam

My 2005 galant started to flare shift when i was on highway or entering on ramp. Basically, the tranny would down-shift and get my rpms up stressing the engine. I decided to take my car to AAMCO to have it looked at. I spoke to tony who i believe is the manager and left it overnight. He called back the next afternoon to confirm the flare-shifting and that it could be something minor being that the car was running fine. he explained that a breakdown would cost $495 and a basic over-haul would run $995. He said it could be cheaper and doesn't think anything more. After hearing the pricing and knowing my transmission would only get worse, I decided to let him break it down and was lead to believe that $995 wasn't a bad price to do a over-haul. Well low and behold, the next day he asks me to come in and inspect the transmission as they had it dis-assembled on a table. He said the owner had made him aware of this TSB report for my vehicle and if wear was seen on certain parts, they had to be replaced of course driving my bill from $995 to $3500. He said he felt bad that he already told me $995 and said he will do it for $2500 and no less or he would lose his job. He explained to me he had no knowledge of this report and it just came out. After being mis-lead, i called the dealer and asked their opinion on the matter. Tony assured me that no mitsubishi dealer in the area knew how to work on transmissions and that his location was only location in town to even work on lamborghini's. Irrelevant to the matter i found it hard to believe that a mitsubishi dealer didn't know how to repair their own vehicles. I took it upon myself to look up this report and in plain text, the report stated for the common issue of flare-shifting, follow a protocol. Check the fluids and if still shift_flaring, then proceed to replace the 2 3 reverse/od drum and its components. Even more amazing, this simple repair could be done with transmission still in tact to engine. 1hr labor was all the report stated would be necessary. When i confronted tony, he said that yeah, you're right but the fact is that now he had to do complete overhaul because it was already broken down. I found other repair facilities who were amazed at what they had did to lock me in. I ended up having aamco box up my transmission and paid them the tear-down fee of $495. It sucks that the money could have went toward the repair bill but lesson learned. I had it towed to another facility who had longer warranty and was willing to fix their mess for $1395 total over-haul including new parts as recommended by the TSB report. I still paid $1900 in repair but better than the $2500 these jokes wanted. AAMCO is a joke. They are commissioned driven and the funniest part of it all, is their way of giving you an estimate ..."here..look at this and look at that.." " we have to replace all that and the bill is ???"  They couldnt give me a break down of what parts are replaced or what the labor was until the the repair had been completed. I never heard of such an estimate. Tony assured me that every transmission shop was the same. Well tony, their not and many were insulted guys like these make the rest look bad.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/18/2010 12:32 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AAMCO-TRANSMISSIONS/san-antonio-Texas-78222/AAMCO-TRANSMISSIONS-informed-me-that-my-transmission-was-fine-and-was-something-minor-was-632805. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AAMCO TRANSMISSIONS

SOUNDS FAMILIAR

AUTHOR: Buk Lao - (United States of America)

They pulled the same scam and we settled on 2600 and when I went to pick up my car it was apart but NOT FULLY disassembled! 410 and Vance Jackson!

#2 General Comment

MasterMechanic Jim, Typical AAMCO scam

AUTHOR: Jim - (U.S.A.)

They don't know how to diagnose problems, they only know how to do a complete overhaul.

I'm willing to bet they showed you a small bit of bronze/aluminum powder in the oil pan and said "The transmission is worn out" that powder is from manufacturing and is not Wear

Very old trick, Non-Mechanics don't know this.

In today's computer controlled transmissions there's a 50/50 chance it's the programming and NOT wear, but then they disassemble the trans and hold you for ransom.

I'll bet when they get it running again it does the same "Flare" and they'll refuse to either fix or refund, that's how they profit.

I worked very briefly for "Mr Transmission", they fired me when I would not go along with their "Bronze/Aluminum bits in the pan" scheme, and told the customer what was really wrong. (Second gear band adjustment, Ford C-4)

I don't trust any transmission builder except the dealership (Whatever make you own) WE know tricks and get bulletins the Transmission shops don't.

Sounds to me the "Kickdown" is adjusted a bit sensitively and needs to be adjusted for more throttle before downshifting, NOT OVERHAULING.

Too late now.