Alexander

• Submitted: Wed, September 17, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, November 02, 2012

• Reported By:St Augustine Florida
AAMCO
134 Mason Avenue Daytona Beach, Florida U.S.A.

AAMCO of Daytona Does Unauthorized Work Daytona Beach Florida

*General Comment: Common Sense

This happened on 9/15/08. I was on my way to school from St Augustine (I go to DSC). I came to a stop off the highway and everything was fine. When I went to accelerate, the car hesitated and there was a loud thud. The engine light came on but the car was working fine. It wasn't until I left and accelerated that I found the problem: my car wouldn't shift out of first.

I stopped at the ATC (part of Daytona State) to look up transmission repair shops. I found that there was an AAMCO nearby, so I figured I'd take the car there since it was a national brand. Boy was I stupid!

They did their diagnosis which I never saw the paperwork for. Then, the manager, I think his name is Don, came in and said that they had found it was an internal problem and they would have to take the transmission out. I never received a written estimate to sign. He told me that it would run over $500 dollars with just labor alone.

I told him that he could find out what was wrong but told him that I wouldn't have the money for at least three weeks. I never signed anything authorizing them to do it. I've needed to get a rental car now for at least two weeks. Which that alone is over 300 dollars.

He called me yesterday on the 16th and told me the total repairs would be $2137.34. I wasn't sure if I wanted to have them do it because, again, I didn't have that money. He asked me my birthdate and I gave it to him. Apparently, that was authorization to do the repairs.

Now, he wants me to pay that money for repairs that I didn't authorize. In fact, he told me that it was a felony to not pay. He said that they would file with a judge and if I got pulled over I would go to jail. Today, when I asked him for the paperwork with my signatures, he told me that the paperwork was for internal use and that I didn't have a right to see the papers with MY signature on them. He also told me that if I couldn't afford to pay for the car, good luck with a lawyer because no one in Daytona would take my case.

I've tried to contact Corporate, but apparently there have been so many complaints the number is only for locating businesses.

Well, now they are holding my car for hostage, along with everything in it that I couldn't get out the first day. All I can say is know your legal rights. If they try to bully you, bully back.

Aaron
St Augustine, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/17/2008 05:01 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AAMCO/Daytona-Beach-Florida-32117/AAMCO-of-Daytona-Does-Unauthorized-Work-Daytona-Beach-Florida-373940. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AAMCO

#1 General Comment

Common Sense

AUTHOR: Drumbeater - (United States of America)

I am very sorry you had a problem with your car and I know how you feel.  I had the same problem, but...When I heard a thud, I pulled over and out of danger.  I knew something was terrible wrong, because it wouldn't change gears, like you said.  I then called a tow truck.  Lucky I did because the driver recommended a shop, the mechanic said I saved thousands of dollars because I didn't try and drive a damaged car, especially at highway speeds. $300 later they changed a part on my transmission and I was on my way.

Why would you drive a car in first gear on the highway??  You didn't think this would tear up your car?? Your lucky it didn't blow up!

Do you think people work for free??  I think you are blaming others for your bad decisions.  You gave them your Birthday??   Why would you do that??  Something in that post doesn't make common sense. Just saying.......

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC