Complaint Review: AARP Roadside Assistance

• Updated: Thu, September 06, 2012

• Reported By: Andie — Wilmington Delaware United States of America
AARP Roadside Assistance

AARP Roadside Assistance Allstate Roadside AARP Roadside ripoff , Internet

My car broke down at the side of the road two days ago. I called the main AARP member number to see if my benefits included roadside assistance. Since I did not pay the extra fee, I did not have the roadside assistance coverage.

I was advised that they could still get me a tow to Pep Boys, however, I had to pay AARP $72 for the tow service. I charged this amount to my credit card. At first, AARP told me the tow would take at least 90 minutes to get there. Thankfully, the tow truck showed up in 10 minutes.

When I arrived at Pep Boys, since I am a rewards club member, the two should have me $20. (I was not aware of this). If I called Pep Boys myself, they would have sent the same tow truck company, and charged me $20.

Pep Boys considered this a "direct tow", worth only $20, and they (and I) were angry that I was charged $72. They suggested I contact AARP for reimbursement.

I called both AARP and Allstate and just kept getting the run-around. They would not consider a refund of $52. They say it was the cost of getting the roadside assistance through them. Bottom line, AARP charged me $72 for calling Pep Boys, when they will only need to pay $20 for the two. That is a $52 phone call.

How can AARP proclaim to be of help to seniors (and I am a disabled senior), and bilk us $52 for one phone call? I will be canceling my membership, since, being a member of AARP cost me more in this one incident than my yearly membership fee.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/06/2012 12:28 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AARP-Roadside-Assistance/internet/AARP-Roadside-Assistance-Allstate-Roadside-AARP-Roadside-ripoff-Internet-937537. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AARP Roadside Assistance