Complaint Review: AARP The Hartford Insurance Company

• Updated: Tue, June 07, 2011

• Reported By: Kathy — Charleston South Carolina United States of America
AARP The Hartford Insurance Company
200 HopMeadow Street Simsbury Simsbury, Connecticut United States of America

AARP The Hartford Insurance Company Trumbull Insurance Company Cancelled my auto insurance, accused me of fraud and has put me in jeopardy of having to pay high insurance rates Simsbury, Connecticut

I went with AARP the Hartford because of the price, and because I needed new Homeowner's insurance.
I have been unemployed for quite some time, and moved to SC from NY. I was quoted a higher premium originally than I thought it should be. The Hartford agent told me that it was because of an accident I had in 2009, at which time I was insured with The Hartford. This was not a huge claim - the replacement of a bumper, paint and wheel alignment. The following year my car was severely vandalized, but The Hartford said that would not be taken into account. So, i accepted the premium, and sent in a payment.
About a month later, I got a call from The Hartford, and they told me that because I had also purchased a homeowner's policy that my auto policy would be discounted. The savings were significant, and when I asked the underwriter why it was so much less, she told me that it was because "she" did the quote correctly, it wasn't done right before.
I made a payment over the phone with her, and told her that I would like to be billed every two months. She said that would be fine.
Now I have received a cancellation notice, effective within 1 month accusing me of failure to "provide pertinent underwriting and/or rating information refarding accidents/violations/losses listed on your application." This is absolutely false. I was insured with the Hartford when I had my accident (I hit a high curb, and there was no one else involved)
Hartford further states that I may request in writing that the director review this action to determine whether it complies with SC law.

I am currently unemployed, and can't afford to hire an attorney. I am being accused of somethinng I did not do, and now I don't know whether or not, if I find a job, I can drive there.

When I called The Hartford, I was put on hold for a very long time, and finally was told that my policy would be reinstated but that I would not get the notice until about 5-10 business days. I was told that the reinstatement notice could be emailed to me, and I requested that, but it has not been sent. I could hear the Customer Service agent laughing when I told her how upset I was, and now I don't know what to do.

I have always been a very reliable person, with an excellent driving record. Until my small accident, I haven't had an accident in over 30 years of driving. I will most likely lose my house, if I don't find work soon, and I can't afford to have my reputation and bank account further compromised.

AARP is not on the side of the senior citizen, and should be stopped from endorsing such a company.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/07/2011 10:13 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AARP-The-Hartford-Insurance-Company/Simsbury-Connecticut-06089/AARP-The-Hartford-Insurance-Company-Trumbull-Insurance-Company-Cancelled-my-auto-insurance-737831. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AARP The Hartford Insurance Company