Complaint Review: ABF U-Pack

• Submitted: Fri, August 05, 2011
  • Updated: Fri, August 19, 2011

• Reported By: ConsumerRightsFighter — Pontiac Michigan United States of America
ABF U-Pack
3801 Old Greenwood Road Fort Smith, Arkansas United States of America

ABF U-Pack Won't refund unused portion, downpayment not refunded Fort Smith, Arkansas

*Consumer Comment: Regardless....

*Author of original report: U-Pack Settles

*UPDATE Employee: Please contact me

I was planning on moving from Mich to S. Dakota, but wasn't sure if I would move and didn't have a
specific address in SD yet.

The cost of the move exceeded my credit card limit, so ABF/U-Pack suggested that I pay in chunks, especially since the move would be delayed. I paid $500 up-front and rented the trailer for $395/mo.

I wound up never moving to SD and returned to Mich 4 months later.

ABF/U-Pack will not refund my $500 down payment on the move claiming that the $500 is the charge for moving from my house to their terminal - 4 miles away.  Yes, $125/mile!!!

U-Pack's Supervisor claims I signed a contract agreeing to that.   I never agreed to any such deal. The $500 was to cover the first third of the move to South Dakota and since this move never
took place, I should have a $500 credit on my account.

I have filed complaints with the State AG's office, FTC and the BBB.

Never do business with ABF or U-Pack.  The company could care less about customers - after you have paid.  They have showed no interest in settling this.

Also, you should be aware that if you use their trailer option (the only option available for my move), the trucks leak big-time - so pack your belongings in waterproof containers or use a large tarp.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/05/2011 01:05 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ABF-U-Pack/Fort-Smith-Arkansas-72903/ABF-U-Pack-Wont-refund-unused-portion-downpayment-not-refunded-Fort-Smith-Arkansas-761456. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ABF U-Pack

Regardless....

AUTHOR: Jim - (U.S.A.)

Consumers should always consider ABF a fantastic alternative if you don't want to do the driving of the truck (which a lot of people don't) and if you don't mind packing your own stuff.  I know a lot of people who have used ABF and not only loved them, they used them over...and over.... and over again.  Your own experience had to do with the fact you decided to cancel the move; what you ended up settling for is EXACTLY what you should have received back.  After all, you had a trailer twice delivered to your home...and...then when you didn't move....you could not have expected a full refund??  Your experience is not only an anomaly (people generally don't cancel a move after a trailer has been to their house...twice), but not representative of someone experiencing a move.  In fact on one consumer monitored website, there are a total of 148 positive reviews for ABF and 5 neutral reviews out of 162 moves, which means only 9 negative reviews on the site, and that's for a site that gathers moving complaints.  Those complaints are over a 5 year period, so I'd say that's a good record for consumers to consider.

At the end of the day, they made good - not simply because of a complaint on a website - but because someone at ABF realized a refund was due.  More often than not, accounting for a move goes through 3-4 individuals before a final accounting is done; the whole process of moving, including the administration, is labor intensive and is not an exact science.  I am glad things worked out for you.

U-Pack Settles

AUTHOR: ConsumerRightsFighter - (United States of America)

After being told by Supervisor Chelsea Drummond that she wouldn't credit my account, I filed complaints with my State's Attorney General, the Better Business Bureau and RipOff Report.  I then received a call from another U-Pack "Analyst" that was willing to work with me and resolve the issue - and have RipOff Report updated (yep, this site really does work!).

The settlement wasn't anything great for me - I wound up paying $300 ($150 for each time they sent their trailer to my house) in additional to the monthly trailer rental (which was never in dispute).

It appears that U-Pack may be like Comcast - they have a staff that monitors complaints on the Internet and then tries to settle them.  That's good, but not nearly as good as solving them in the first place.

I don't plan on using ABF/U-Pack again.  If you want something done right, do it yourself and that means U-Haul (if you have the option).

Please contact me

AUTHOR: U-Pack Moving - (USA)

I am so sorry for any problems you encountered during your move. Please email your move information to me directly at publicrelations@upack.com and I will take a closer look.

Thank you!