Complaint Review: ACTIVE PERIODICALS

• Updated: Tue, January 19, 2010

• Reported By: S. T. — New Brunswick New Jersey United States of America
ACTIVE PERIODICALS
Deerfield Beach, Florida United States of America

ACTIVE PERIODICALS Scammed me for $300 and are threatening me with legal action now for MORE MONEY Deerfield Beach, Florida

Active Periodicals is a horrible company that makes money off of people by intimidation and corporate technicalities.

I am a recent college graduate and have been suckered into their subscription service because of the $1000 shopping spree they promised me.

First of all, for those who are familiar with Active Periodicals, the shopping spree is fake.

Now to the real headache:
1.  They charged me $58 and change every month for up to 4 months before the first magazines showed up.  Now when they arrived, out of the 10 magazines I got, only 2 of them are what I requested.  So I complained.  The number they provided led to an answering machine which they called me back A MONTH later!
only to apologize for the misunderstanding but not for the wrong magazines.  So without offering a refund, they simply apologized and promised that next month would be different.  They lied.

Every month for a total of 6 months, I have received garbage magazines that have nothing to do with me and would never spark an interest in me to even open the cover.  So every month I dispute the charges on my credit card company but ultimately I had to cancel that AND my bank card because after disputing the charge on my credit card, they would automatically deduct out of my checking.

So after not being able to recieve money from me, the phone calls started coming... and were they nasty.  A lady calls and starts to raise her voice at me and said that if I don't pay the full amount ($600 something) then legal action would be taken.

They do that every month and I doubt they would do anything to me because I did nothing wrong.

They say that I signed a contract that deems it illegal for me to not pay.  And I said that it is illegal for them to take my money and not give me the products I purchased.  The lady actually cursed at me and said that I was wasting her time.  She said that she wasn't calling to remedy the situation but to tell me that if I don't pay, they will ruin my credit.

Now if a company was legit, first they would give you the product you asked for, and second, they would try to make sure the customer is satisfied and try to remedy any complications, as opposed to threaten their customer and initmidate them with legal actions.

So after all these long words, I wish I have never picked up that phone call from them.  Please anyone, if you want magazines, just order from the suppliers themselves.  All major magazines offer a very cheap annual subscription.  Yes the offer from Active is cheaper and sounds very tempting but its not worth it because they do not deliver on their end and you would be stuck with either $600 less in your account, or headaches and harrassment phone calls from them for the next year a half.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/19/2010 03:31 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ACTIVE-PERIODICALS/Deerfield-Beach-Florida-33443/ACTIVE-PERIODICALS-Scammed-me-for-300-and-are-threatening-me-with-legal-action-now-for-M-556921. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ACTIVE PERIODICALS