Complaint Review: ADT "Defender" And "Protect Your Home"

• Submitted: Fri, May 09, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, May 09, 2008

• Reported By:Midland Texas
ADT "Defender" And "Protect Your Home"
14200 Exposition Avenue Aurora, Colorado U.S.A.

ADT "Defender" And "Protect Your Home" 9 hour install and the security system still does not work!!! Trying to cancel but im getting the run around. Aurora Colorado

I'd like to say ADT is the biggest rip off artist out there. We just bought our new house in Midland TX and wanted to install a security system to help on the insurance costs. We decided to go with ADT since the name is pretty well know. To bad we didn't do any real research into them.

We called the 800 number for ADT told them what we wanted and they set up installer to come the next week since there are no local distributers here in Midland. "No problem" I said. The "Instal Manager was suppossed to arrive between 5 and 6pm on a Thursday evening for a two hour install. He arrived shortly after 6pm and was here until 12:30am!!! When he left he told me he was not finished and asked if I could meet him Friday evening so he could finsh up.

Friday came and went. No ADT guy. So we started making phone calls. Two weeks passed. During this time the alarm was going off at odd hours of the day and night for no reason. ADT never called about it because we were not even being monitored. Finally we got in touch with "Defender" and I told them I do not want this thing in my home anymore and to come get it. She told me that I would be charged 70% of a 3 year contract. Funny thing is, I never signed a contract or saw any paperwork what so ever.

I explained the story to her and she informed me that the day we called ADT we entered a "Verbal Contract" and only had three days to get out of it. Well by this time two weeks had gone by so we had no choisce but to say come fix the thing and refund our first month.

A week later the same guy came back to my home to fix the system. When he left he produced a contract from his back pocket for us to sign. Atached to this contract is a "Notice of Cancellation" that states in bold print, "You may cancel this transaction, without penalty or obligation, within three business day from the date above." Our transaction date is 5/07/08. I just got off the phone with ADT and have been told "We will work on it and call you back." Has anyone ever sued these guys?

I urge everyone to stay away from ADT and spread the word to your friends and neighbors. Find someone local.

Joe C.
Midland, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/09/2008 09:36 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ADT-Defender-And-Protect-Your-Home/Aurora-Colorado-80012-2515/ADT-Defender-And-Protect-Your-Home-9-hour-install-and-the-security-system-still-does-n-331601. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ADT "Defender" And "Protect Your Home"

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC