• Report: #204886

• Submitted: Mon, August 07, 2006
  • Updated: Mon, September 11, 2006

• Reported By:Sallisaw Oklahoma
ADT Security Services
adt.com Sunnyvale, Texas U.S.A.

ADT Security Services, dishonest - misrepresented contract information double billing Ripoff Sunnyvale Texas Little Rock Arkansas Nationwide

*Author of original report: Final ADT Update (hopefully)

*Author of original report: Update from customer

I signed a service contract with ADT Security Services Inc. in July of 2003. In July of 2005, we moved the mobile home that the system was installed in. I had forgotten about the three year service agreement, and thinking it was just a two year, I contacted ADT to see about cancelling the service. Of course they let me know that I still had another year to go, which was fine. I do believe in fulfilling my obligations. I told the service representative that we were thinking about not having a land phone line put in at the new location, and I was told that they could work with that by installing a cellular unit if need be. The representative had me sign the paperwork to have the cellular unit installed. I was told that it was standard procedure, just a modification for the system installed in the home already. I asked what we should do if we decided to go ahead and have another phone line connected, and I was told that if we changed our minds about the phone line after the move, just to let them know and they would take care of it. Either way, I just needed to contact them after the move so they could get things going again. I also asked if I would still be able to cancel the contract after the next year was up if we felt we no longer needed it, and I was told that there shouldn't be a problem with that. After the move (we did end up having a land line put back in) I began to be double billed for services. The company was billing me through both my old address and the new address. It took about four months to get this cleared up. Finally, at the end of the three year contract period I contacted ADT to let them know that we no longer needed the system. I was told that the contract was not up, because ADT considers ANY move to be the start of a new contract, and that because we had moved the service the year before, to cancel I would have to pay several hundred dollars in early termination fees. It looks as if they are considering the papers the rep. had me sign to add the cellular unit as a new contract, which is NOT what I was told at the time. I'm puzzled, angry, and confused, and not really sure what to do. I feel as though I have been robbed on more than one occasion by this company which I looked to to protect me and me family.

Tammy
Sallisaw, Oklahoma

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/07/2006 10:27 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ADT-Security-Services/Sunnyvale-Texas/ADT-Security-Services-dishonest-misrepresented-contract-information-double-billing-Ripo-204886. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ADT Security Services

Final ADT Update (hopefully)

AUTHOR: Tammy - (U.S.A.)

I'm hoping this is the last of the above ordeal. Several days after I contacted the BBB a second time regarding ADT's business tactics, I finally received a letter from an ADT representative noting that she had sent an e-mail to have my account taken out of collections, and also to waive all cancellation charges. (She did have my name spelled incorrectly in the letter. I'm waiting to see what trouble comes of that, if any.)

I contacted the ADT billing department again to see if this time everything really had been taken care of, and I was amazed when they told me that everything had been cleared!

At this point I'm very thankful that things seem to have worked out, though the pessimist in me is telling me to wait a little while before I celebrate, just in case ADT has some more tricks up its sleeve.

Update from customer

AUTHOR: Tammy - (U.S.A.)

I contacted the Better Business Bureau with the information I had on how ADT was conducting business with me. They in turn contacted ADT. ADT responded by telling me and the Better Business Bureau that they were dropping the cancellation charges. I was told that all I would have to pay was a final month's service charge of around $36.00. (It takes them thirty days to process a cancellation??? Doesn't make much sense to me either, but it was better than paying the $200 termination fee.)

I called ADT back to make sure that everything was finally clear, and was told that there was no record of any fees being dropped after all. I called and e-mailed the ADT service representatives who had contacted me about my BBB complaint, and I was told that everything was fine and that I didn't need to do anything else. I asked to have a hard copy sent to me showing that ADT agreed to not charge me. (This was never sent.)

I have instead received a letter noting that my account has finally been cancelled, and a Statement that shows that I owe ADT $417.79 for "CUSTOMER CANCELLATION" along with a threat to turn me over to a collection agency if I don't pay.

I'm not sure what the amount is supposed to be for. This amount is more that double the cancellation amount that is shown on the back of my contract. Right now I'm in the middle of contacting the Better Business Bureau again to see what I should do next.

This whole experience with ADT has been nightmarish. It looks like I'm going to be trying to dig myself out of this for a while. Wish me luck, and in the mean time, I want to warn others NOT TO DO BUSINESS with this company! I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. (Well, maybe on my WORST enemy.)

Tammy