Complaint Review: ADT security

• Reported By: Me — Pittsboro North Carolina
ADT security

ADT security Extortion Internet

*UPDATE Employee: ADT Customer Relations

I recently purchased a new home on 3/28. The former owner is 85 years old and did not remember the access codes to his ADT security system. I called ADT to see about getting the default codes which would allow me to reprogram the security access codes required to turn the system on and off.

ADT informed me they were unable to relinquish any access codes without the permission of the previous owner, who had been paying for monitored service for a number of years. I can understand this policy, it is good to be careful whom you give security system codes to.

I called the former owner and explained the situation to him. After he contacted ADT to give them permission to talk to me about the security system installed at my new address, he contacted me to let me know he had done so. When I called ADT back they told me that the only way they would give me the default codes to MY security system was if I signed a three year monitoring contract!

I do not want to pay for monitoring. All I want is to be able to turn my security system on and off. ADT was paid for the installation of the system as well as having been paid for many years worth of monitoring. The income from this one house FAR exceeds the cost of any real time or labor associated with the system. To provide me with the access codes required to turn my security system on and off would cost them exactly $0.00.

I used to think of ADT as a decent company with good customer service. I previously owned a house with an unmonitored ADT system installed in it and the one time I had trouble with it they quickly told me what was needed to solve the problem. Now I see that they are just money hungry and willing to take advantage of a person in order to line their pockets.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/18/2013 08:55 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ADT-security/internet/ADT-security-Extortion-Internet-1044482. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ADT security

ADT Customer Relations

AUTHOR: Mike - ()

Good Afternoon, my name is Dan and I work out of ADT's Corporate Customer Relations office. I am very sorry to hear about your experience and would like to have my team reach out to see what we can do to help you out. Please send your contact information to CustomerConcerns@adt.com and we will call you. Thank you. -Dan