Complaint Review: ADVANTA Bank Corp.

• Submitted: Mon, February 21, 2000
  • Updated: Mon, February 21, 2000

• Reported By:Tempe AZ
ADVANTA Bank Corp.
POB 30715 Salt Lake City, Utah U.S.A.

ADVANTA Business Card/American Bankers Insurance Group

I noticed a $25.00 charge to my husband's ADVANTA credit card for insurance. I thought this was odd and I asked him about it. He had no knowledge of what it could be for. I called ADVANTA and they said it was for life insurance purchased through American Banker's (ABIG). I called American Bankers to apprise them of the error and to credit our ADVANTA account. The woman at ABIG advised me that my husband HAD authorized the purchase over the phone and that there would be no refund. In the meantime another $12.50 charge appeared on our next ADVANTA bill. I questioned my husband and he said that someone had called him on the phone a couple of months previously selling insurance. Since my husband has both private and company-sponsored life insurance he declined the offer. It is my belief that an unscrupulous telemarketer at ABIG went ahead and signed my husband up figuring he probably wouldn't even notice this small monthly charge. These telemarketers do work on commission and I'm sure this person needed the money or to boost their quota. Anyway I called ADVANTA again and requested a refund. They said it was not their responsibility and that I would have to deal with ABIG to get a refund or a credit on our account. It has now been 6 months and we have not received a refund or credit despite numerous phone calls to both companies. A dispute form sent to ADVANTA has gone unacknowledged. ABIG refuses to act and ADVANTA claims it is not their problem. Well, I think it is ADVANTA's problem as ABIG would not have had our name or account number unless ADVANTA hadn't provided it to them. $37.50 may not sound like much, but it is the principle involved and also, I have been out of work for over a year due to a serious illness and it is a very difficult time for us financially. $37.50 to me is a week's worth of groceries (we eat alot of beans). Can someone please get us a refund?

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on Advanta Bank

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/21/2000 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ADVANTA-Bank-Corp/Salt-Lake-City-Utah-30715/ADVANTA-Business-CardAmerican-Bankers-Insurance-Group-1307. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ADVANTA Bank Corp.