Complaint Review: ADVANTAGE RENT A CAR

• Updated: Mon, November 12, 2007

• Reported By:STREAMWOOD Illinois
ADVANTAGE RENT A CAR
12505 COTE DE LIESSE DORVAL, Quebec Canada

ADVANTAGE RENT A CAR TRICKED INTO BUYING UNNECESSARY AUTO INSURANCE DESPITE MY REFUSAL AND MY AUTO INSURANCE TELEPHONE ADVICE TO RENTAL AGENT HIMSELF. DORVAL Quebec

*Consumer Suggestion: You do have a choice

This merchant has victimized me of fraud/scam/rip-off. What we have agreed verbally over at the counter with the attendant on duty is completely different and contradictory to the Rental Agreement that was prepared for me to sign in a hurry. Trusting that everything was in order as to what we have agreed, I affixed my signature/initials without reading the fine prints.

Firstly, as to the pricing - I presented to the attendant a copy of my Confirmed Reservation and Pricing that I obtained from Yahoo Travel showing the total pricing: 3 days (5/21/07 to 5/23/07) @ $14.98 = $44.94 plus taxes and fees of $30.25, for the total of $75.19. Secondly, as to the Auto Insurance -I was offered but I refused knowing my existing auto insurance coverage in the U.S.A. also covers Canada including Montreal. But, because of his insistence/questions regarding coverage limitations, I then asked to use their office telephone to call my auto insurance who confirmed my coverage and advised me against buying additional auto insurance from the auto rental company.

I even transferred/gave the phone to the attendant on duty to talk with my insurance company for his other queries, and then finally agreed that I do not need to buy the additional auto insurance. He then asked me to sign the rental agreement and my credit card payment for $500.00. I questioned why I am signing for $500.00 when the confirmed pricing was only for $75.19 and explained that this is for security deposit only and that this amount will be adjusted to the correct priceif there is no accident/damage to the car and the gas tank is full when returned. I was hesitant at first, but signed the credit card payment and rental agreement.

This merchant was in "bad faith" at the very start and defrauded/tricked me into signing the Rental Agreement that says: "customer accept insurance" that was poorly hadwritten and could hardly be read, when he knew fully well that I have refused and as he himself has spokent to my auto insurance company and knowing fully well that I am fully covered and do not need to buy the additional/unnecessary auto insurance. This merchant charged me $293.01 (instead of the $75.19 confirmed price) and that the overcharged difference of $217.82 was for the auto insurance.

After several telephone calls with this merchant and disputed communication letters with my credit card, the latter advised that this merchant refused to honor my request for credit and demanded full payment, or else report my account as past due to the consumer reporting agencies. I have no choice but paid the full amount against my will.

Joe C.
STREAMWOOD, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/11/2007 12:19 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ADVANTAGE-RENT-A-CAR/DORVAL-Quebec-H9P1B7/ADVANTAGE-RENT-A-CAR-TRICKED-INTO-BUYING-UNNECESSARY-AUTO-INSURANCE-DESPITE-MY-REFUSAL-AND-284212. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ADVANTAGE RENT A CAR

#1 Consumer Suggestion

You do have a choice

AUTHOR: Dave - (U.S.A.)

Don't let them bully you. If you dispute this amount with your CC company, and they give you a credit for it, the car company cannot do anything to your credit. Especially if what you say is true, and that the charges were hand-written and not legible.

Dispute the amount immediately! Insurance is only like 30/day anyway, not 70!