Complaint Review: AEP

• Updated: Wed, August 17, 2011

• Reported By: Shelbie — Lynchburg Virginia United States of America
AEP
1 Riverside Plaza, 25th Floor Columbus, Ohio United States of America

AEP Angela Hall, Risk & Insurance Management even though they acknowledged that their equipment failure ruined my TVs, they aren't responsible since they couldn't "foresee" the failure! Columbus, Ohio

AEP's wires beside my house exploded, showering sparks down near my nieces and I, partially cutting my power, causing one appliance inside to smoke, and ruining both of my TVs (neither of which was on at the time).  Their response letter to my claim said that they would "honor any claim for damages suffered by our customers for which we are responsible." But they proceeded to deny my claim since they weren't responsible, saying, "Our investigation shows that this incident was caused by equipment failure. This is an incident which could not have been anticipated." ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!? How is AEP not responsible when their equipment fails???

I called back to appeal the decision, and was told they determined that "a connection fail was the cause of the failure," and "AEP is not responsible for our equipment failure since we determined that the connection had been installed correctly" (even though the connection had blown up and was dangling in pieces, they could tell it was installed properly.)  How can any company get away with that kind of logic, in order to not take responsibility for damage THEIR equipment causes?!?  The world would be a scary place if everyone could make such claims to get out of taking responsibility.  As my father pointed out, I would be totally justified (by AEP's logic) to say, "Its not my responsibility to pay my AEP bill since I could not have foreseen my shortage of cash."

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/17/2011 12:11 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AEP/Columbus-Ohio-43215/AEP-Angela-Hall-Risk-Insurance-Management-even-though-they-acknowledged-that-their-equi-766377. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AEP