• Report: #919227

Complaint Review: AFC Auto Glass Inc, DBA "A Touch of Glass"

• Submitted: Sun, July 29, 2012
  • Updated: Fri, August 03, 2012

• Reported By: Max T — Santa Fe New Mexico USA
AFC Auto Glass Inc, DBA "A Touch of Glass"
1091 Siler Rd. #4 Santa Fe, New Mexico United States of America

AFC Auto Glass Inc, DBA "A Touch of Glass" Worst auto glass company I ever hired, damaged $237 of trim, a child could have done a better job! Santa Fe, New Mexico

*Author of original report: Beaver Toyota is a GREAT company!

I am a businessman who knows that a reputation is a precious thing, and that customer perception is  everything. However, my perception of this company just fell off a cliff. Let me explain why.

On July 25th, 2012 I dropped my car off at A Touch of Glass (AFC Auto Glass Inc.) in Santa Fe NM after being referred to them twice by Beaver Toyota, once by Beaver's service personnel, who repeated A Touchof Glass' phone number, apparently having memorized it, and again by Beaver Toyota's parts department, who furnished me A Touch of Glass' business card. I was told that Beaver sends all their fixed glass business to A Touch of Glass. I was told twice by Beaver (once in 2009 and again just last week) that they were the best glass company in Santa Fe.

The job involved replacing quarter panel glass trim and clips that were purchased new from Beaver's parts department. The new trim parts were carefully inspected by their owner (another person also happened to be present) and the car and new trim pieces and 2 new trim clips were dropped off on 7/25/2012 at A Touch of Glass on Agua Fria St. [continued below]....
..... in Santa Fe, based on Beaver's recommendation.

On 7/26/2012, Andy at A Touch of Glass called to say that he had good news and bad news. When asked what the bad news was, he replied "There's a small dimple in one of the trim pieces, but we didn't notice it until we had already installed it."

An arrangement was made to see the car the next morning, and when inspected by the car's owner, it was first noticed that the left upper trim piece had a large protruding "outward" dent in it. When asked about it, Andy replied "Well, that must have already been there when you brought it in, but the dimple I wanted to show you is on the other side of the car." Andy then showed me a shockingly large dent in the new lower trim piece he had installed, saying "All we did was install it, so it must have been there all along but we didn't notice it because we hadn't peeled off the plastic tape. When I told him that the parts were in pristine condition when delivered, and that the clear plastic could not have hidden such a huge flaw, he denied damaging the trim but had no explanation as to why he would proceed to install obviously damaged trim pieces in the first place.

Andy was very defensive, claiming that he personally had installed the trim pieces himself. When confronted with the possibility that he might have to pay for the damages, he began to accuse me of fraud, then attempted to find inconsistencies in my story. For example, I had remarked that I had cleaned the parts and inspected them just yesterday, Andy implied that I was lying about the pristine condition of the parts because I could not have cleaned the parts yesterday because he had the car yesterday, therefore I could not have washed them.

Andy denied causing any damage at all, and even refused to take an offer that he would eat the labor if I paid for new parts. In my opinion, Andy should have replaced the damaged parts and re-installed them for the original cost, which was $140. We then agreed that I would pay for the new parts and he would do the labor over for free. I paid him the agreed $140, and told Andy that I would return for their free installation when the new trim pieces arrived.

That arrangement became unacceptable when I discovered the cause of the damage to the left upper trim strip when I returned home after picking up the car. I noticed a small white piece of plastic in the channel next to the new trim strip, which I recognized as part of a broken clip. The trim was very loose and I was able to easily remove the trim by hand because A Touch of Glass had broken the upper trim clip, which was the original clip. I was amazed that the trim had not fallen off as I drove the 20 miles to my home.

I have never experienced such a total lack of professionalism, both in A Touch of Glass and the quality of their work. Now, I would not let A Touch of Glass near near my car at any price because I have absolutely no faith in them. A child could have done a better job. I have ordered the new trim pieces (and an additional clip AToG broke) at an additional cost of $237.87. Altogether, I paid out $378.51 for parts and labor that was completely worthless, and now I must wait to receive new parts and locate a reputable glass company to install the parts.

If A Touch of Glass is the sort of company Beaver Toyota recommends and employs, Beaver should know what kind of "service" Beaver customers can expect when relying on Beaver for referrals, so I sent them a similar message. You should avoid this company at all costs. I have no idea why such a reputable dealership such as Beaver recommend such a terrible company, and I cannot imagine that the use A Touch of Glass themselves.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/29/2012 12:39 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AFC-Auto-Glass-Inc-DBA-A-Touch-of-Glass/Santa-Fe-New-Mexico-87505/AFC-Auto-Glass-Inc-DBA-A-Touch-of-Glass-Worst-auto-glass-company-I-ever-hired-damaged-919227. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AFC Auto Glass Inc, DBA "A Touch of Glass"

Beaver Toyota is a GREAT company!

AUTHOR: Max T - (USA)

The situation has been resolved, and not by who you think!

I wanted to tell you about my experience with Beaver Toyota recently. I had been referred by personnel at Beaver to a local glass company because Beaver does not work on fixed glass. When I hired the glass company, I wanted a professional job, but instead it was the worst service experience I have ever had.

The glass company damaged expensive, rare trim I had purchased from Beaver, then denied culpability, saying that the trim was already damaged but unnoticed by their personnel prior to installation. Out of four trim pieces, two were damaged, two clips were incorrectly installed and an existing clip was broken.

Because of the severe nature of the experience, I emailed your service manager Rodney Gonzales and told him the story about what had happened. I told Rodney that I did not expect Beaver to do anything other than stop referring customers to that company. Rodney was at all times empathetic to my situation and promised to look into the matter and get back to me, which he did very shortly to tell me that he had resolved the issue with the glass company and that he had a check from them made out to me for the labor I paid for the faulty work.

Rodney then told me that Beaver Toyota would reimburse me for the damaged trim pieces and broken clip. I was shocked! Beaver Toyota took complete responsibility for the matter even though Beaver was not really liable!

I think that this kind of service is commendable and extremely rare. I am a businessman who knows that a reputation is a precious thing, and that customer perception is everything. I am very glad to see that such a large business as Beaver Toyota can become so perfect in my perception. I will always recommend Beaver Toyota, and I will continue to be their loyal customer forever.