Complaint Review: AIL Canada

• Updated: Mon, August 27, 2007

• Reported By:Winnipeg Manitoba
AIL Canada
1549 St Mary's Rd Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

AIL Canada I was called this past Friday and invited fro an interview, based on reading my resume on Monster.com Ripoff Winnipeg Manitoba

Received a phone call from a company indicating that they have read my resume on monster.com and that my profile matches the kind the person they are looking for, I was then asked a few questions, such as my key strength and what kind of job I was looking for. I asked what kind of positions they are offering and was told that they have several (about 3) managerial position, related to HR and was then given a date for an interview. I was asked to bring a copy of my resume, a list of 3 references and to wear a suit.

The name of the company did not sound familiar and being a bit sceptical about the offer, coming out of the blue and not having applied for a job with this particular company, but then again my resume is on the monster.com web site and is accessible by prospective employers. I also want to try to find out as much as possible about a prospective employer, in particular one I'm not familiar with, before the interview as I might be able to ask and answer some relevant questions regarding the company, its products and the position being offered.

That afternoon I took a drive to the address and found out that it is AIL Canada. Upon arriving home I searched the name on the Internet, their web site does not offer a lot of information. But then continuing my Google search, I found all kinds of complaints about their hiring practises, both in Canada and in the US, which seem to parallel the kind of phone experience I had on Friday morning.

Since I gave my word to attend the interview on Monday, I went, however I now have some background on the company and remained vigilant during the process.

I just returned from my interview it was kind of fun and made the guy squirm a bit which I enjoyed.

Upon arrival I was asked to fill a form, with the usual items, name address, previous employers, positions, etc., the only thing I left blank was the references.

Once invited into Mark Chan's office, he asked me for a copy of my resume, which I gave to him, he also asked for my reference list, which I declined to give, I explained that I'd rather hang onto it for now. He asked if I knew anything about the company, I told him that all I was able to find out on their web site was that they sell insurance (I did not mention the reports on this website), mainly to Labour Unions, Mark mentioned that indeed they sell supplementary insurance (life, layoff, medical, etc.) to Union members to supplement any insurance not covered under their regular group insurance, he asked me about my background, I gave him a brief description of the various jobs and positions I've held until now. I also told him at the start that I was not looking for a "7/24" type of job as I value my time off with my family and when asked about the 6 month I spent as a car salesman, I told him I did not care for all the BS associated with selling a car. He then proceeded on giving me some vague indication as to what the job entitled, essentially managing a group of field employees who travel through the province, visiting prospective customer refereed to AIL by their Union. I would have to undertake a 2 weeks course and obtain my LLQP license, apparently every AIL employee need to have that license, no mention about any costs was made, I was also told that I would have to go on field trips with my prospective employees, such as spending a week in Thompson. I asked how trip expenses would be reimbursed and was told that I can claim all my expenses through income tax. I asked if this was a commission job? Mark indicated that it was partial salary and partial performance bonus, I asked what percentage was salary and what percentage was bonus, he remained very vague and did not want to answer.

I told him then that I'm a straight shooter and have no patience for BS and beating around the bush and mentioned that I find it strange that he could not clearly explain the job and pay structure, he mentioned that it is a complicated subject and that it would all be made clear during the next interview, which would last about and hour and a half, he asked me if I could come back Tuesday at noon for the second interview. I said, sure but pressed him more about the position, he was squirming behind his desk and clearly uncomfortable with my line of question, he eventually blurted out that managers can expect to be paid in the $50,000.00 to $80,000.00 range, per year, I asked how much was salary and how much was bonus in the $50,000.00 range for instance, he said about $25,000.00 salary and $25,000.00 bonus. I indicated that his explanations were rather vague, which I find kind of strange and was under the impression that what he was looking for is a door to door insurance salesman, he denied that what they are looking for, Field employees only visit prospective customers refereed to AIL by their Union, but they are not looking for field employees but for managers (why can't they promote one of their experienced field employee to management?), but that I would have to go out in the field with people working under me for a couple of weeks, I indicated that 2 weeks seem awfully short to learn the position and to be able to manage a team.
Finally I told Mark that based on the vagueness of the position available and that I don't like to waste time with people or issue where I cannot get a straight answer, I would not be interested in whatever position they might have available, thus ended the interview.

I'm grateful for having found this website and for doing some research before the interview. I doubt that they would have sucked me in, however I might have wasted more time on more interviews. I find it sad that I company could take advantage of prospective employees with deceitful tactics, luckily I receive a retirement pension so I', not desperate for a job, I'm just looking for something to keep my busy, but it has to be enjoyable as well

Oldswiss
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on American Income Life Insurance

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/27/2007 12:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AIL-Canada/Winnipeg-Manitoba/AIL-Canada-I-was-called-this-past-Friday-and-invited-fro-an-interview-based-on-reading-my-270528. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AIL Canada