Complaint Review: AIU - AIU Online - American Intercontinental University

• Updated: Sat, April 03, 2010

• Reported By: Greg — United States of America
AIU - AIU Online - American Intercontinental University
6600 Peachtree-Dunwoody Road, 500 Embassy Row Internet United States of America

AIU - AIU Online - American Intercontinental University AIU, A.I.U. Put A Hold On My Transcripts Scam Internet

*Consumer Comment: Greg

*Author of original report: AIU

*Consumer Suggestion: Solution

I was enrolled in AIU and a semester before I was to receive my BBA, they called me into the Financial Aide office.

She said that my loans did not cover my tuition this semester and that they needed $1000.00 for me to continue on. I did not have $1000.00 at the time and so I had to withdraw.

Well, now I would like to enroll at another University, GSU, and was hoping that some of my credits could be transfered over. So I called AIU for my transcrpits and they said that my records are "on hold" and will not be released unless I pay them $2,900.00!!

Please help me.

Anyone have any legal advice?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/01/2010 01:20 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AIU-AIU-Online-American-Intercontinental-University/internet/AIU-AIU-Online-American-Intercontinental-University-AIU-AIU-Put-A-Hold-On-My-Trans-588405. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AIU - AIU Online - American Intercontinental University

Greg

AUTHOR: Jeanski - (U.S.A.)

Greg, a lot of students don't understand how the financial aid process works, so I'll highlight it for you in case you don't know (or to help others reading this post).  Every year you filled out a FAFSA, right? Well, the school takes that information, develops an EFC ("Expected Family Contribution") and then awards aid. You probably received an Award Letter, which details what aid was offered, then you had to sign and accept some or all of it. Depending on the college's rules (and the type of aid you accepted) you may have to meet cerain enrollment qualifications - typically full time enrollment. So if you dropped a class that last semester you attended, that could have reduced the aid you were awarded, and your account was corrected retroactively.

Without seeing your aid information, I can't really offer more specific advice. But again, I would ask for a semester-by-semester breakdown of your account. Find the point where you were paid up and start there. Have them explain to you why you owe the money.

Honestly, your best bet is to finish your degree there since it's highly unlikely your credits will transfer in bulk. If you start again at another school you could end up needing an additional two years or so. It's just not worth it.

And no, I don't work for AIU! I work for a private college and have a lot of experience with this. I don't generally recommend for-profit schools, but with only a semester to go, it's your best bet.

AIU

AUTHOR: Greg - (United States of America)

Jeanski, thanks for your quick response. What I don't understand is how they said that I owed them $1,000.00 is the first place.

I also don't understand which funds were returned since the school is pay-by-semester. I wasn't able to even register for the next semester because they said I owed them for the last semester.

So, which funds were returned??

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Solution

AUTHOR: Jeanski - (U.S.A.)

Greg, I sympathize with you. However, it is common practice in ALL colleges and universities not to release transcripts if the student owes money. That's how they get you to pay.  Your best recourse is to ask for a total breakdown of your charges and how any financial aid was applied. Go over it with a fine tooth comb!  See where the mistake is. You didn't state how much time elapsed between your last semester at AIU and now, but I suspect the increase from $1000 to $2900 has something to do with interest (which would have to be exorbitant) or the return of financial aid that was initially credited to that last semester, but sent back to the lender (if it was a loan) when you didn't enroll.  Either way, they'll say it's your fault.

Unless you can show a glaring error on their part, you'll probably have to suck it up. I hope not, but that's the reality.

I wish you good luck.