Complaint Review: AIU OnLine

• Submitted: Mon, November 21, 2005
  • Updated: Thu, January 19, 2006

• Reported By:San Juan Other
AIU OnLine
aiuonline.edu Buckhead, Georgia U.S.A.

AIU OnLine ripoff Buckhead Georgia

*Consumer Comment: Sour Grapes

Well, consider myself a hardworking student, I do a lot of research learned while enrolled in a Master's program at a regular university but at AIU I felt that students wrote without reading their books, or doing any kind of research and were getting good grades. I thought I was having a good experience but many times I felt like I was the only one staying up until 2 am during the week reading and making sure I was applying the course readings and making additional research while everyone just wrote what they understood and their experience with no scientific research or even staying on track. Some class chats just turned into teachers explaining homework and online tools.

Well the last drop was when a teacher sent my work to academic review, which could cost me my financial aid. When I spoke (via e-mail-there is no other way) with him he said I didn't write my work, I spent hours reading several sources and writing, he didn't even write to me to ask anything, just gave me an F. When I inquired, the teacher and my advisor said I made an incorrect citation: one phrase,, well, mhh, for that I may have to pay $2,500 for that class and may loose my financial aid. I think they are just used to below average students and my work just didn't seem like anyone enrolled at AIU could have written it, their students do not have that ability or maybe the fact that I am Hispanic lowered even more their expectations. Of course the teacher didn't know I had 3.5 and 4.0 in my previous classes and didn't care to talk to me as a student about his concerns.

Well, bottom line, I don't think they really care about the quality of students, they just do anything possible to take your financial aid and run with it, until a professor makes a quick decision based in his low expectations. You are at the mercy of the professors who some don't care who you are and hopefully have no prejudice. The only benefit studying on line is time, but let me tell you, they'll take your money, send you books make it easy for you to keep giving them your money but some teachers truly have very low expectations of students and will consider good work anything that someone writes out of the blue and doesn't include much research, some teachers do not read much good work so if yours is good it must not be yours. Plus they would never take the time to sit with you and ask you if they have a concern about your work, this is the grade, this is their decision and even though they have a million ways to get in touch with you, they will not take the time. I wish they would have called me to ask me about the veracity of my work as many times as they did trying to sell me the university and taking my money before they sent me to academic review and gave me an F without any warning. I should have known their low expectations as seen at some of their chats and discussion boards.
ADVICE: DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY

Ana
San Juan
Puerto Rico

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/21/2005 06:48 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AIU-OnLine/Buckhead-Georgia/AIU-OnLine-ripoff-Buckhead-Georgia-165452. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AIU OnLine

Sour Grapes

AUTHOR: Will - (U.S.A.)

I too attended AIU. I spent LONG HOURS in study and research. Let me be clear to anyone who reads this post that studying online is difficult at best; it requires an extreme dedication that borders on passion.

To suggest that the other students were not meeting this individual's standard is the height of hubris.

The students I had the privilege of attending with seemed to me to have an all consuming desire to excel both in their collaborative projects and individual projects.

I too completed massive amounts of research as did other students and as memory serves we were all properly instructed in proper APA citation. Clearly, Ana you did not follow those rules. I respect the high quality of instructors and professionals at AIU. To suggest that the Students and or Professors of this premier learning institution are suspect is laughable. Why not just admit you made and error and move on, or perhaps restated Your ship sank, get over it.

involves