Complaint Review: AIU Online - American Intercontinental University

• Submitted: Mon, February 28, 2005
  • Updated: Sun, July 17, 2005

• Reported By:Upland California
AIU Online - American Intercontinental University
420 Boulevard Of The Allies Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

AIU Aka American Intercontinental University ripoff dishonest want money upfront didn't deliver financial plan Pittsburgh Pennsylvania

*Consumer Suggestion: Rip Off and Fradulent College Practices

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: So True the cause of any delays

I requested info to start a new career. The info I received sounded good. The first person I spoke to was Anthony Null, Assistant Director of Admissions. In order to even apply I had to pay a $50 application fee, plus they wanted a $100 enrollment fee. They were willing to wait for the enrollment fee, but I absolutely had to pay the $50 to even apply. So I filled out the app and paid the $50. After jumping through a ton of hoops I then had to deal with Genise Penrod, admissions coordinator, and jump through yet more hoops. I then had to deal with Mia Lippencott, admissions coordinator, about FAFSA and financial issues before they could be sent to the financial coordinator.

The time was getting close and I still never heard from the financial coordinator, in the meantime I was emailing Mia and Anthony trying to find out what was going on. Mia told me (in an email) that she didn't know why the financial coordinator couldn't contact me herself, and then proceeded to ask me basically the same questions again.

When I finally DID hear from a financial coordinator, Karen Flanagan, I was never given an actual financial plan. I was told that the total cost for the certificate I wanted to earn was just over $12,000 and that I DID qualify for grants as well.

But I was never told what the grants would cover and I never had a clear picture as to what I'd be owing after all was said and done. Plus, it was discovered that in order to receive financial aid I had to take the 2 courses in a 1/2 quarter instead of one class per 1/2 quarter (I was going to be starting mid-quarter) As a single, working mother that was impossible. So I was then told I could start in April instead.

But in order to keep me in an active status and to receive the financial plan I want I'd have to pay the $100 enrollment fee. I contacted Anthony again and told him there was no way I was paying an additional $100 when I don't even know if I truly wanted to enroll because I'd never received any hard numbers to I'd know what I was actually looking at financially. He agreed with me that I should've received a financial plan and would look into it. Here we are 2 weeks later and when I sent an email to him this morning saying so he replied with,

"Carri: It is still being looked into. We have moved about 40 percent of our office. Give me a few more days to let people get unpacked and I will get some answers to you. Thank you for your patience."

Regards,

Anthony Null| The Art Institute Online
Assistant Director of Admissions | 420 Boulevard of the Allies Pittsburgh, PA 15219
412-995-4332 Office | 877-872-8869 x4332 Toll Free |

So, in the meantime I'm out $50 hard earned dollars for NOTHING.

Carri
Upland, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/28/2005 06:05 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AIU-Online-American-Intercontinental-University/Pittsburgh-Pennsylvania-15219/AIU-Aka-American-Intercontinental-University-ripoff-dishonest-want-money-upfront-didnt-de-133208. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AIU Online - American Intercontinental University

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Rip Off and Fradulent College Practices

AUTHOR: Carol Ann - (U.S.A.)

I am a victim of the same sort of nonsense at Bethany College in Scotts Valley California.

You and others may want to have your revenge by simply reporting them to Internal Revenue Service and collect Rewards for your troubles! In addition to that report these people to Post Seconadry Schools Regulatory Agencies in your state and the Department of Education and get yourself an attorney and sue them.

Students should not have to put up with fake institutions like these and still have to pay back loans and not recieve the education they are paying for. Advise others not to go there. Good luck.

#2 REBUTTAL Individual responds

So True the cause of any delays

AUTHOR: Grace - (U.S.A.)

I have been told the same thing.. that their offices are moving, people are moving. so that's the cause of any delays.. Funny it's all an script plain and simple. I feel kinda like an fool for falling for the whole thing. I looked them up they belong to the BBB. I'm thinking about filing an complaint.