Complaint Review: ALLTEL

• Updated: Tue, September 22, 2009

• Reported By: tkahle — Hartford Wisconsin USA
ALLTEL
www.alltel.com Internet United States of America

ALLTEL After Verizon merger no service available yet insisted on charging termination fee. Internet

Complaint to BBB

I purchased wireless service and equipment in approximately March of 2009. Was given I think a 14 day trial period to verify functionality at the location in which I intended to use it which was my parents home in Tomahawk, WI.  It worked well so I decided to keep it.

In July or August of 2009 the wireless stopped working. Frequently I could not connect and when I was lucky enough to connect it would only transmit information sporadically.

Contacted Alltel technical support two times to resolve problem. Was told by Alltel technical support that due to the Alltel/Verizon merger, the Sprint tower I was getting service from previously was no longer available and that my service was now coming from another tower. Furthermore they referred to my location as a fringe area which they stated explained my lack of service. They credited my account $30.00 in consideration of my problems and arranged to have technicians go on site to measure the signal strength.

A week or so later I called back and was told that there was nothing they could do. It was at that time I decided to cancel my service. I was told that there would be an early termination fee. I told them that I would not agree to that because they could no longer provide the service. Furthermore I told them that I expected to be credited for the last couple months that I did not have service. I spoke with them tonight (9/19/2009) trying to get this taken care of but they refuse.

End of BBB complaint

I filed the above report yesterday with the BBB.  Today I received a call from Alltel.  They were willing to give me a $100 credit however the early termination fee was $200 not to mention the approx. $65 charge for the past two months for service that did not work.

They claimed that I did not handle the problem correctly because they had no record of the issuance of a trouble ticket. Either they keep very poor records or they are lying because I was given a trouble ticket number which I have recorded.

I have no intention of paying a single penny of these charges.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/22/2009 07:29 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ALLTEL/internet/ALLTEL-After-Verizon-merger-no-service-available-yet-insisted-on-charging-termination-fee-498901. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ALLTEL