Complaint Review: ALTA VISTA CREDIT UNION

• Updated: Tue, August 20, 2013

• Reported By: anonymous — GREEN VALLEY LAKE California
ALTA VISTA CREDIT UNION
1425 W Lugonia Ave REDLANDS, California USA

ALTA VISTA CREDIT UNION Excessive NSF fees and Overdraft Charges. REDLANDS California

*Consumer Comment: Reports like these...

My husband and I have been with this bank since 2008 and have had HORRIBLE experiences.  We believe that they are utilizing a hidden internal system in efforts to maximize the number of overdraft and NSF fees charges to our account as well as other customer's accounts. I believe that they are deceptively charging numerous overdraft and NSF fees although there are deposits pending beforehand electronically at the same time.  Despite being with them since 2008, they have literally bounced every single check that resulted as a overdraft even though the check may have been as low as $20.00.  Alta Vista Credit Union initially had over 6 branch locations whereas they are now down to only 2 branches.  June 2013 they withdrew from the Credit Union sister branch network whereas customers are no longer able to make deposits or handle any financial business with (sister branch) credit unions.  Recently a local police officer came to our home to take a related report we tried to file and informed us on the "DL" that they receive immense complaints and reports about Alta Vista CU.  I believe that they have profited immensely from the alleged illegal fees in which they charged us and other customer's.  It seems as if they are rigging the NSF charges to benefit  them the most, instead of allowing items to clear independently they are making money by bouncing multiple smaller transactions for that day.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/20/2013 04:07 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ALTA-VISTA-CREDIT-UNION/REDLANDS-California-92373/ALTA-VISTA-CREDIT-UNION-Excessive-NSF-fees-and-Overdraft-Charges-REDLANDS-California-1077537. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ALTA VISTA CREDIT UNION

Reports like these...

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

Just want me to bang my head on the wall sometimes.  Not because of what the Credit Union is doing but because of what the poster is doing(well actually NOT doing).

What are you not doing?  You are NOT managing your account correctly..or even at all.

- Oh yea..that's it.  I mean after all it can't be that you don't keep a written register..oh wait it is.  You see the best way to combat their "hidden" system(which is actually just 3rd grade math) is to write down every transaction you make as you make it and deduct it from your AVAILABLE balance.  Oh and available means available..not pending.  Then...and here is the key point..NEVER even attempt to spend more than you have.

If you do this you can be just about guaranteed that you will not overdraft and never have another check bounce.

Oh but you say you use their on-line banking.  Well this may be a shock to you but any bank or Credit Union has zero idea of what you have spent until they receive it from the merchant.  So guess what...those checks you write the bank has no idea until they receive it.  And until they receive it your on-line banking balance will be 100% WRONG.

If you really don't know how to use a Written Register there are plenty of sites on the Internet, heck I would be willing to bet that you can even go to the branch and ask them..I would bet that someone would be glad to walk you through it to avoid any more fees.

But let's go on to some of your other "intersting" comments that actually make me wonder how you were even able to write this report in the first place.

- Ummm...let's see they bounce every single check of yours..yet you continue to write them.  Well I'll let you think about that statement for a bit.

- A "related report"..really and exactly what did this report consist of.   And I bet he never got complaints about any of the other banks now did he.

- So tell me this. If they have profited immensly on these fees, wouldn't they be opening up more branches instead of closing branches?   Perhaps it is all of these people complaining about being charged overdraft fees when they tried to use their bank account as a line of credit..costing the CU money and forcing them to cut costs.