Complaint Review: AMERI-CREDIT

• Submitted: Sat, May 19, 2007
  • Updated: Sun, May 20, 2007

• Reported By:CAMP HILL Pennsylvania
AMERI-CREDIT
4001 EMBARCADERO ARLINGTON, Texas U.S.A.

AMERI-CREDIT I SIGNED AUTO CONTRACT, USED CAR 1 1/2 MONTHS, MADE NO PAYMENTS, CAR REPOSSED, NOW I HAVE TO PAY THE TOTAL LEFT FROM SELLING CAR PLUS OTHER CHARGES ARLINGTON Texas

*Consumer Suggestion: Sorry for what happened to you, but...

*Author of original report: americredit, arlington texas

*Consumer Comment: If I get this correct, you bought a car, stopped payment on the down payment check and didn't make any monthly payments?

*Consumer Comment: Well, gee, I feel really sad....

i bought a car when i was under "extreme" duress about 1 1/2 years ago from americredit. due to circumstances out of my control, i had to have the car repossed after about 1 1/2 months. because of the repossesion, amercredit charged me the price after the sale of the car of about 6,000 dollars plus interest and repossession charges. i didn't make any payments on the car and i had the down payment check stopped.

i am a 60 year old retired widow and i feel that took complete advantage of me. i am now paying 53.oo dollars a month for my payments which will take about 8 or 9 years to pay off. can someone tell me anything that i can do about this situation? it is very disturbing to me. this company is absolutely terribe, terrible, terrible

Cathy
CAMP HILL, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/19/2007 04:17 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AMERI-CREDIT/ARLINGTON-Texas-76014/AMERI-CREDIT-I-SIGNED-AUTO-CONTRACT-USED-CAR-1-12-MONTHS-MADE-NO-PAYMENTS-CAR-REPOSSED-249382. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AMERI-CREDIT

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Sorry for what happened to you, but...

AUTHOR: Nikki - (U.S.A.)

Cathy, I am very sorry for the hardships fallen on you and your family within those few months. Truly, I am.

However, don't forget, Americredit GAVE the money to the car dealership. It's not as though you have screwed the dealership for screwing you. You screwed a 3rd party who paid something for you. How can you blame Americredit for reposessing your car after not making any payments?

I am very surprised you only owe $6000. At least $1500 is probably tax, tag & title (that they already paid to your state). You are very lucky that they sold the car for only $4500 under what you financed. Usually they sell the cars for less than that at auction.

Also, you stated that you felt you were taken advantage of. After everything that happened to you, and you being a 60 yr old retired widow, why did you even go into a car dealership in the first place? Didn't you intend to purchase a car? Being 60 years old, I would think you would have known how dealerships operate; and I would think you would have known to research your car to make sure you were getting a decent deal.

It's too bad you had to get rid of a car that only cost you $370 per month. If you ever purchase a car again, you will probably have to either pay cash, or an extremely high interest rate due to the reposession.

In addition to Americredit coming after you for the $6000, don't be surprised if the auto dealership sues you for the $1000 check you wrote, then stopped. Another thought, if you were able to stop payment on the check, it sounds like you knew you didn't want the car even before the 4 days were up or the check would have been cashed already.

In this instance, Americredit wasn't terrible to you, you were terrible to them. There is nothing you can do about owing them $6000.

AUTHOR: Cathy - (U.S.A.)

THIS IS THE PROBLEM: SON,DRUNK, TOTALED MY CAR, OTHER SON FELL OFF MY BALCONY AND BROKE HIP IN 3 PLACES, SOMEONE RANSACKED MY LIVING ROOM AND KITCHEN, MY HUSBAND DIED, AND I LOST MY JOB , ALL IN A PERIOD OF A COUPLE OF MONTHS. THIS TO ME IS "EXTREME DURESS. I DID CALL AUTO DEALER THE 4TH DAY OF BUYING CAR AND WANTED TO CANCEL, BUT HE TOLD ME I COULDN'T AT ALL!

MY CAR PAYMENT WAS 374.00 DOLLARS A MONTH AND THE DEALERSHIP KNEW ALL OF THIS AND THEY STILL DID NOT SAY A WORD ABOUT REPOSSESSION UNTIL A MONTH 1/2 LATER. I STOPPED THE PAYMENT ON CHECK BECAUSE THEY KNEW I COULDN'T BUY THE CAR AND BECAUSE I STOPPED PAYMENT ON CHECK THEY ADDED ANOTHER 1000.00 DOLLARS TO THE 1000.00 CHECK.

I UNDERSTAND THAT I HAD THE CAR FOR 1 1/2 MONTHS, BUT THEY NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT COMING TO GET THE CAR UNTIL THE FIRST PAYMENT WASN'T MADE AND THEY KNEW I COULD NOT MAKE THE PAYMENT. SO WHY DIDN'T THEY COME AN GET THE CAR SOONER? MAYBE I'M WRONG IN THINKING THIS WAY, BUT AT THE TIME I WASN'T THINKING CLEARLY AT ALL---AND THEY KNEW IT, BUT DIDN'T CARE!!!! ALL I KNOW IS I FEEL TOTALLY TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF.

AUTHOR: Bruno - (U.S.A.)

And you are surprised they repossessed the car and you still owe them money?

The car sold at a loss at auction, a common thing, and you legally owe the difference between what you owed and what the dealer got for the car.

I'm sorry, but I don't see where you were ripped off by anyone. In fact, you are lucky Ameri-credit hasn't filed fraud charges on you for putting a stop payment on your down payment! And yes, you are required to pay for the repossession charges, towing fees, storage fees, and legal costs. That's the way these things work. You did not honor your agreement in any way, shape, or form.

You had three business days to cancel the purchase, but even at that point you probably would have owed something to the company. Since you never paid a cent for the car, and used it for 1 1/2 months, it basically adds up to retail theft on your part.

Make your payments and count your blessings; you could be in jail if Ameri-Credit wanted to force the issue.

but I do not know for whom............

I have no idea what you mean by "extreme" duress or what it was all about, so I will move on to the financials:

You bought a car for... ummm... who knows, but I assume it was retail price. Then the car was reposessed because your comments indicate that you paid nothing... no payments, no downpayment, etc.... The car is repoed and sold at auction thereby drawing the lowest dealer-to-dealer price and you wind up with a $6000 shortfall.

If you ar paying $53/month: $6000/($53/month) = 113 months or 9.4 years. This is a LONG time, but the payment IS small.

5. Why did you ALSO stop your downpayment check?
6. Why did you then keep the car for 1 & 1/2 months given that you did NOT make those monthly payments and that you had ALSO stoped payment on your downpayment check?

The stickler for me, then, is that you had apparently decided that you would not pay ANYTHING for the car, yet you KEPT IT for 1 & 1/2 months instead of promptly returning it. This, in my mind, is the question that you need to resolve.