• Submitted: Thu, January 13, 2005
  • Updated: Thu, January 13, 2005

• Reported By:Fairfield California
2158 W. 190th St. TORRANCE, California U.S.A.

I checked my credit report to find 2 accounts from American Agencies regarding old SBC phone bills. The original bills were $287 and $93. American Agencies claim I owe them $400 and $128 for late fees. I had just sent out the payments to 2 other collection agencies who were reporting these same accounts on my credit report.

When I called them to find out if they received my payment, they told me that the money order was sent back to SBC because SBC took the accounts back. SBC verified that they did receive my money order and American Agencies has no interest in this account. American Agencies insist that i owe them a total of $528 for both accounts. This is fraud!

They are illegally attemtping to collect on a debt that is not theirs and that has been settlee with the original creditor. I will file my claim with the San Francisco FTC tomorrow. I have sent a debt validation letter and they have not responded.
From the looks of things, this company is using scandaloud collection practices.

Fairfield, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/13/2005 12:02 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AMERICAN-AGENCIES/TORRANCE-California-90504/AMERICAN-AGENCIES-RIPOFF-TORRANCE-California-127159. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AMERICAN AGENCIES