• Submitted: Thu, May 06, 2004
  • Updated: Thu, May 06, 2004

• Reported By:LYTLE Texas

AMERICAN FAMILY PUBLISHERS ripoff, scam, hoax, TAMPA Florida

I was contacted on two seperate occasions by a man named Bill Stacey, claiming to be a SR. Vice President for American Family Publishers Sweepstakes. He told me that my entry had been chosen as the grand prize winner of five hundred thousand dollars.

He told me that he and 16 of his collegues would be coming to my house on Saturday March 12 to present me with my cashiers check and to escort me to my bank to deposit my check as well as set up an escrow account to cover the taxes.

He told me that I could invite up to 10 people for the big event and that he and his crew would be taking us out for lunch or dinner to celebrate.

He told me that he would call me later that evening to get the name of my bank and the restraunt we would prefer to go to so they could call ahead and make the arrangements.

When I asked him for a phone # to contact him for verification he gave me (800)237-2400. When I realized this was a bogus scheme I tried to call the # on several occasions and only got a busy signal repetedly. Now I think the # belongs to an adult entertainment site. Although on different websites it is considered to be the correct phone # for American Family Publishers.

I don't know how he got my information because both times he called me on my cellular phone and I thought those numbers were unpublished. I am assuming that he got my info from one of my internet contacts that I have my cell phone listed as my contact info, due to the fact that I tell everyone to call me in the evening as i have free nightime minutes.

LYTLE, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/06/2004 02:43 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AMERICAN-FAMILY-PUBLISHERS/TAMPA-Florida-33612/AMERICAN-FAMILY-PUBLISHERS-ripoff-scam-hoax-TAMPA-Florida-90473. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AMERICAN FAMILY PUBLISHERS