Complaint Review: ANCESTRY

• Updated: Tue, October 21, 2003

• Reported By:Lawn Texas
ANCESTRY
ancestry.com Nationwide U.S.A.

ANCESTRY.COM ripoff false advertising scamming people Thought I would be able to see their census for a year like they said. WRONG! Internet

ANCESTRY.COM IS A RIP OFF THIS IS WHAT THEY SHOW YOU BUT THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU GET

Hello
To access this area of the site, you need to sign up for the U.S. Census Images and Indexes.

You are currently a Registered Guest

Upgrade your account today and get instant access to the best collection of federal census images available online! Get access to all 500 million U.S. Census names. All for the low price of $99.95! (billed annually) ~~ BILLED ANNUALLY~~
Just click here

This is a Rip Off !!!!~~ You will not get this. Like a fool I fell for this and thought I would be able to see their census for a year like they said. I paid the $99.95 and gave them my credit card number. THREE MONTHS later they mailed me FOUR emails saying if I did not contact them that they were going to put $139.95 on my credit card for another 3 months service.

Here is the 4 emails Ancestry Com mailed me in three months after I gave them $99.95

If you wish to cancel your subscription, please call 1-800-ANCESTRY (262-3787) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM MST, BEFORE you are automatically renewed. Please select prompt number 4.

Please note that cancellations must happen over the phone so we can verify that the actual account holder is canceling the membership.

~~THIS TOOK OVER AN HOUR TO FIND A HUMAN TO TALK TO~~~~~

Subj: Important Information About Your Ancestry.com Subscription

#1 Email that day
Hopefully you have enjoyed the last quarter of your U.S. Records Collection subscription at Ancestry.com.
No action is required to renew, we will simply bill your account for another three months for the low rate of $29.95.

#2 email
Your quarterly United States Census Images and Indexes subscription is up for renewal in two weeks.
No action is required to renew, we will simply bill your account for another three months for the low rate of $39.95.

#3 email
We hope you are enjoying your access to your quarterly Historical Newspapers Collection subscription at Ancestry.com, the No. 1 online source for Family History.
To renew your subscription, take no action and your credit card will automatically be billed for another year at the low rate of $29.95.

#4-email

Hopefully you are enjoying your quarterly United Kingdom and Ireland Collection subscription with Ancestry.com -- the No. 1 online source for family history.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I did not sign up for all these extras. I signed up to get the census for a YEAR for $99.95 NOTHING ELSE. Instead I got the census for 3 months for $99.95. This is false advertising.

Della
Lawn, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/21/2003 04:09 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ANCESTRY/nationwide/ANCESTRYCOM-ripoff-false-advertising-scamming-people-Thought-I-would-be-able-to-see-their-69758. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ANCESTRY