Complaint Review: AOL, EBILL IT

AOL, EBILL IT
www.aol.com Internet U.S.A.

AOL, EBILL IT free is not free! ripoff Internet

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: EBILL IT/AOL unauthorize service charge

*Consumer Comment: Wide Awake In OHIO... AOL is a rip off, but I forgot, you "used" to work for the enemy!

*UPDATE Employee: ignore him ...ebillit is aol

*UPDATE Employee: ignore him ...ebillit is aol

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Wake Up E-Billit is NOT AOL

I too received a free internet offer from AOL and my laptop computer for a period of 90 days.

After 30 days, I decided that AOL would not be benenficial to me. I immediately logged onto my laptop so that I could facilitate the cancellation.

I was immediately sent an email that the method of payment that I chose would not be accepted and that my account was in jeopardy of cancelling. I replied and said, "cancel."

This month (August 2004), I received a disconnect notice from my local phone company. I called to find out what was going. My normal bill was only $23 which wasn't due yet.

The representative at SBC said I was being billed by EBILL It, which was AOL. I asked for what? She said for internet services. I explained to her that I didn't authorize that payment or service. She then provided me with the telephone number to EBILL IT.

I spoke with two representatives of AOL who were less than helpful and sounded like tape recorders. They would not allow me to speak with a supervisor, provide me with a corporate number or address, and wouldn't cooperate with crediting my account.

Both representatives (of AOL) stated that I never cancelled and I was never given the option of paying by credit card. We all know this is incorrect.

I have refused to pay the portion of my phone bill that has AOL on it. I know this will cause some problems with my credit score with the phone company, but I really don't care.

If you pay now, you'll never get a refund. I should know. I went through the same thing with AOL 3 years ago. I thought they had changed and improved their customer relations, but obviously not.

Renee
Columbus, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/20/2004 08:08 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AOL-EBILL-IT/internet/AOL-EBILL-IT-free-is-not-free-ripoff-Internet-104578. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AOL, EBILL IT

#1 REBUTTAL Individual responds

EBILL IT/AOL unauthorize service charge

AUTHOR: IIFFRRAANN - (U.S.A.)

I have been charged on my verizon phone bill for AOL service. I never ordered AOL service. When I called EBILL IT they told me fax them request to cancel which I did but they never removed the charges from my bill. I don't know how they got my phone number but I just moved to my house and my phone number is new also. So may be someone before me who had this phone number also had AOL service and AOL without verifying the account information continue charging me for AOL service. This is very bad and unacceptable business practice.

I am dealing with Verizon and they are giving me mixed answers. One Customer Service Rep says charges have been removed, while other says these charges cannot be removed. I am not sure what is going on?? Actually, it sounds like they don't know what is going on either.

Isn't there some kind of consumer protection for this kind of issues. Or I have signed some contract with Verizon when I signed up for Phone Service which basically gives them right to charge me for whatever third party and I cannot do anything?

Thanks for your reponses.

AUTHOR: Renee - (U.S.A.)

I used to work for SBC and thought about being a prospective employee of AOL. I know (beyond a shadow of a doubt) that EBILL IT works for AOL. Not only was I informed by an AOL employee but, I use to work for SBC (prior to SBC developing a way to block third party billing).

AOL is a rip off. Most people can obtain "dial up service" for less than $28.90 a month. Let's be real here, I have roadrunner (AOL's sister service) for less than $28.90 a month. If it were not for the fact that DSL doesn't work in my area, I wouldn'd subscribe to any of AOL/Time Warner's family members.

Like myself, many people have been fooled and bamboozled when it comes to internet service (through their purchasing computer, laptops, or otherwise). To defend AOL by saying that you could only cancel by calling, mailing, or faxing, is simply not true. If that's what it would have taken for me to cancel (at that time) most reasonable people would know to use those preferred methods).

Aside from the obvious, I work for a law firm and know enough to comply with the "terms and agreement", unfortunately, the terms the former employee mentioned, weren't afforded to me at that time. OOps, but I forgot, you used to work for the enemy!

AUTHOR: Renee - (U.S.A.)

ignore him ...ebillit is aol

AUTHOR: Stephanie - (U.S.A.)

i work at sbc and ebillit is aol, i see this type of thing being billed on customer's phone service. Ebillit only bills for aol service. To stop this in the future, call sbc and advice the representative that you want to put a third party block on your line, we have a very specific code for ebillit, it is vsl that is the code that you want to tell the rep that takes your call. THis will stop this company from billing you.

the reason you have such a bad time cancelling the service is that reps that you talk to at aol, are motivated to stop people from cancelling thier AOHell account. They get special incentives to save people. This is a call center also and in the business to save the company so the reps have to keep a 70% save rate. That means out of 100 people they have to "save" 70 people from cancelling their account. If you go above the 70% that's when you get more money. They stop people from cancelling by saying hey let's give you 3 months free, then you want to cancel in three months, they do not want to have you cancel. This would bring down thier average. The only thing I can tell you is that to say "I guess I'm one of the people that has to cancel." Sorry about bringing down your average. Or tell them that you're disconnecting the phone line.

Customers call us up in tears, straight from this company. AOL has terrible service...you cant expect to tell people you "have" to keep the service and make money. This is why people are leaving or trying to leave AOL.

This is why now AOL is going after the latino market now. I saw in a latino ad you can get a free computer but you have to sign up for AOL for 3 years. Let's see aol is $28.90 a month for 3 years that's over $4,000! Taking advantage of foreigners who dont have the credit to get a computer or dont understand a "deal" They can buy a computer outright and get dial up for $9.99 a month that's $357 over 3 years. Just a note nothing is for free!!!! AOHell tells you free but once you want to cancel they wont let you! Buyer beware!!

ignore him ...ebillit is aol

AUTHOR: Stephanie - (U.S.A.)

#6 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Wake Up E-Billit is NOT AOL

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

Ok, a few things:

1. E-Billit is NOT AOL. E-billit is a service that posts 3rd party charges on phone bills.

2. Scam emails go out all the time trying to get credit card information to use fraudulently. You probably got one of these emails.

3. Had you read your Terms Of Service agreement - which you have to agree to before you can access an AOL account - you would have known that to cancel an AOL account you must either call in or mail/fax a request to cancel. You cannot cancel by email, whether it's a scam email or an email sent directly to AOL.

4. You pay AOL a subscription to the service as long as an account is active, so yes, because you did not call to cancel, AOL billed you on your phone bill.