Complaint Review: AOL Long Distance

• Submitted: Wed, October 20, 1999
  • Updated: Sun, November 07, 1999

• Reported By:Pembroke MA
AOL Long Distance
none given Email- LDmember Nationwide U.S.A.

AOL Long Distance Service Rip-Off

This summer I was disatisfied with my long distance carrier about some long distance calls I had made. AOL happened to send me a letter with a $25.00 check to cash and free 3 month internet
if I switched to AOLlong distance. I thought this was a great deal and the price on long distance calls sounded great.

In the letter AOl stated "by signing and cashing the check I would be automatically enrolled in the new long distance program. I signed my name and cashed my check. Our family does not make many long-distance calls so I have not been concerned with checking my bill on-line.One night, I had some free time and decided to check my bill out to discover not only was I being billed for long distance, but I was being charged for calls that I get for free with my unlimited circle dialing plan on my regular phone bill.

When I called to question this I was rudely told that by signing the check I authorized them to charge for local calls. The salesrepresentative said that the word local appears on the check I signed, but she could not find it anywhere on the letter sent to me. As it stands now I am supposed to get a rebate of $34.40, but I have not seen it posted on my bill.

It is also ironic that most of the charges incurred on the bill have been when we were connected to AOL on-line.(the access number was never a charge call for me before this service) When I spoke with my phone company they said that this service is redirecting my calls which should be free with my unlimited circle dialing and charging me for them.

I am still paying for my regular phone service because I was under the assumption that long distance means long distance calls. For a company that's supposed to have great,low rates I am in total shock. As much as I feel that I am being ripped off about $120.00, a co-worker of mine has a charge of almost $500.00 in the same plan.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/20/1999 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AOL-Long-Distance/nationwide/AOL-Long-Distance-Service-Rip-Off-860. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AOL Long Distance