• Report: #2072

• Reported By:
AOL Long Distance
Nationwide U.S.A.

Long Distance Scam

AOL Long Distance called our home and offered us 100 free minutes, $5.95 per month with rates of 5 cents per min., and a reimbursement of the switching fees for both lines. The salesgirl also said that we could be billed on our regular phone bill and we would receive calling cards. We received no reimbursement and no calling cards. We tried to e-mail them but got no response. Then I tried to view our first monthly bill but the only response I got on-line was that we did not have an account with them. The next week we recieved an e-mail from them saying we had an overdue account (0n-line it STILL says we have no account!). I waited for a total of 23 minutes on the phone for a respresentative. I was then told that we owed $17.95 for the first month and that our credit card had been rejected so we needed to give them a check by phone. When I explained that we had recieved nothing from them and had not even used any where near our 100 free minutes - they said that offer had never been made to us. I offered to pay the 5.95 that I feel I rightfully owed but they insisted on the 17.95. When I asked where the $10 switching fee reimbursement was, they said I would have to remain a customer for 90 days before I would be reimbursed. The original salesgirl had assured me I would be reimbursed in time to pay the fee on my next billing. (I have already paid it, myself). Again, I was told that this was not offered. Finally, I find out that the state to state calls are billed at 15 cents a minute (these are the ONLY kind I make) not at the 5 cents a minute the salesgirl told me I would be paying. I think the promotions dept is trying to lure people to switch by making false promises and there is no record that they are doing this.
It's the customer's word against their's!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/14/2000 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AOL-Long-Distance/nationwide/Long-Distance-Scam-2072. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AOL Long Distance