Complaint Review: AOL Time-Warner

• Submitted: Tue, February 28, 2006
  • Updated: Thu, March 09, 2006

• Reported By:MURFREESBORO Tennessee
AOL Time-Warner
AOL.COM Jacksonville, Florida U.S.A.

AOL Time-Warner ripoff debiting accidental but previously cancelled double account Jacksonville Florida Internet

*Author of original report: Buyer Beware: AOL 's apparently fraudulent practices continue

In October 2004, I spoke with members of the AOL's billing department regarding double and even triple charges applied to my debit account. The AOL phone rep informed me that I "must've accidentally added an additional account during the registratiobn process." This happened twice. At that time I therefore cancelled the "accidental" account and was reimbursed for only two months-worth of the multiple billings. This from a billion-dollar corporation!

Recently I learned that despite cancelling this accidental account in 2004, AOL has continued to bill me for this account from approximately March 2005 to February 2006. That's approximately $350.00! Once again, I spent two hours on the phone speaking with several AOL representatives to resolve this issue, and was told that AOL was unable to compensate my losses. They would "do me a real favor" and credit me for three months ($71.70). Needless to say, I cancelled my membership.

Four hrs after doing so, I received an email from AOL thanking me for signing up for 12 more months! Obviously, I fear that if I don't call again and set this matter straight, I'll continue to be charged for a service I don't utilize.

Dj
MURFREESBORO, Tennessee

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/28/2006 01:19 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AOL-Time-Warner/Jacksonville-Florida-32245/AOL-Time-Warner-ripoff-debiting-accidental-but-previously-cancelled-double-account-Jackson-178566. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AOL Time-Warner

Buyer Beware: AOL 's apparently fraudulent practices continue

AUTHOR: Dj - (U.S.A.)

Two weeks following my supposed cancellation of membership to AOL (after learning AOL fraudulently debited upwards of $400.00 from my bank account) I learned today that my account is "still active, with no issues," according to my account billing status.

Once again, I will probably spend a large portion of my day on hold on the phone with AOL. Honestly, I strongly caution anyone with a past or present AOL membership to inspect their bank statements carefully, even after months of inactivity.

My personal experience has been that once I reported an erroneous charge to AOL, (if and when they corrected it) two months passed with no problems, and three months later, AOL was once again overcharging my account, once again charging me for an account they had supposedly cancelled months ago at my request. If there is an attorney out there interested in a class action suit, I am a willing client.