Complaint Review: AOL Travelers Advantage;Trilegiant Corporation

• Updated: Fri, March 05, 2010

• Reported By: Leslie — Otis Orchards Washington United States of America
AOL Travelers Advantage;Trilegiant Corporation
100 Connecticut Ave Norwalk, Connecticut United States of America

AOL Travelers Advantage;Trilegiant Corporation Trilegiant Corporation Charged my Credit Card 7 months after I cancelled the membership: I never did get my $40 gas card Norwalk, Connecticut *EDitor's Suggestions on how to get your money back into your bank account that someone wrongfully takes it from you!

In June 2009 I wanted to rent a car I get on the internet and found an agency that booked car rentals, so I called. They booked me a car at Budget and offered me a membership for $1.00 trial. They were to send a packet out outlining all the travel discounts, plus a $40.00 gift card for gas.So I figured ok  the most I have to loose is a $1.00 maybe $15.99 if I didn't cancel soon enough but I would still have $40.00 in free gas.

First when I went to pick up the car there was none available at Budget.They had my reservation but the booking agent did not call to see if there was any cars.

Second I never received my $40.00 gift card for gas.

Third I never did get a packet that outlined my membership.

In July 2009 I was charged the $1.00 fee for the first month trial. Still waiting for my packet in the mail hoping for my $40.00 gas card. It never showed.

In Aug 2009 my credit card was charged the $15.99 for the membership. At that time I called and cancelled and told them that I had never received my packet not did I receive the $40.00 gift card. They tried to talk me into keeping the membership for one more month and they would get my $40.00 gift card out in the mail. I told them no and to forget it , I could not afford another mistake.

Now in March 2010 they charged my credit card for Dec 2009, Jan 2010, Feb 2010 at $15.99 each month.

I called them on March 5th at 8:45 am to dispute the charges. At that time the gentleman on the other end confirmed my address that was not my address nor did they have the name right.So that explains why I did not get my packet or my $40.00 gas gift card.

I told him that I cancelled this back in Aug and he said that there was no record of this.But would cancel at this time. I asked for a refund of the 3 months that was charged to my card and he said he was not able to do that without my cancellation number from back in AUG. Who keeps a number around 7 months when they don't see a charge the next month on their credit card for something that they canceled?

The gentle man said that his name was Mike but when I called back in 5 minutes later the new gentleman told me there was not a que person working named Mike.

The new guys name was Frank (maybe) he told me I had to write a letter stating all this and fax it to their account representative for review.

I told him that this was crazy and I did not know if I could find the number he said there was nothing I could do Or they could do without that number.

I think this is a rip off!!

They bait you in with a gas card then write your address down wrong so that you never get it then you call in to cancel they try to talk you into staying a member and assure you our card will get there asap. Then you cancel anyways( most people probably would not) then they wait a few months and charge 3 months at one time.

Then they state you have to come up with a cancellation number in order for them to refund your money.

I never received an e-mail or a phone call from them (this they did have correct) Nor did I ever get a packet or my $40.00 gas gift card.

What I did get is the following charges: July For $1.00, Aug for $15.99, Nothing for Sept Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb. Then in March I was charge on one statement for Dec Jan Feb at $15.99 for each month.

EDitor's Suggestions on how to get your money back!

HERE IS WHAT RIP-OFF REPORT SUGGESTS YOU DO:

Go to your bank within 60 days of the charge, or as soon as you know about the charge, don't delay, and tell them that there has been fraudulent activity within your account. Explain that you wish to file a dispute, and demand that they assist you in accordance with Federal Regulation E.

According to the majority of victims interviewed by Rip-off Report, those who immediately called their banks to dispute the charges did not get very far. Many victims got the following responses from their banks: we could not do anything for you or you waited too long; it has been more than 60 days.

If the bank is says that you have waited too long, explain to them how you called their 800 number as soon as the charges were found, and were told by the bank that nothing could be done. Remind the bank that they failed to assist you properly at the 800 #, and instead, provided you with an inadequate explanation of your right to dispute. Tell the bank that it's their fault time has expired, and since they gave you the wrong info to begin with, they will just have to deal with it, take the loss and reverse the charges.

Tell them the truth; this was unauthorized and your account was NOT to be charged! Keep emphasizing how you never authorized anything! Direct them to the hundreds of victims reports that were filed on Rip-off Report.com. And if you're at the bank, walk them over to their computer and make them go to this site! If you are on the phone with them, tell them you will wait while they access this site! Either way, be persistent!

DO NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER!

Let them know nicely, that you were advised to Report them (the Bank) and this situation to the Banking Commission in your state. Since each state has a different name for the agency/controller over banks, find that name before you call or get to the bank so you can throw it in their face. The more knowledgeable you appear to be, the further you will get.

And just continue to demand the Federal Regulation E form! The bank CAN, MUST and WILL reverse the charge! But, you must be persistent; ask to speak to the supervisor or the area manager for all the branches in the state.

Let the bank personnel know you are meeting with the media later in the day, that you would much rather they do the right thing (as most other banks have) by looking at the complaints and immediately reversing the charge(s) to your account; no matter how long ago it was. Be sure to call the Media if necessary so you are telling the truth.

If you have to, be loud (but nice) in front of other customers. If you are just calling by phone, the above tactics should still work. The bank can easily fax or mail to you the Federal Regulation E dispute form.

CHARGES TO YOUR CREDIT CARD

If the charge was to your credit card (not debit card, check card, or checking account), contact the credit card company as soon as possible to request a dispute form. Consumers usually have a little longer to dispute fraudulent credit card charges (up to 6 months), but it is better to act right away. In this type of situation, credit card disputes are usually successful since fraudulent companies often won't contest the disputed charge. In rare cases, credit card companies will review disputes, but refuse to reverse the charges. If this occurs, complain to a manager and let them know you will be filing a report here.

Remember Don't let them get away with it! Make sure they make the Rip-off Report .. The more Reports filed on a Company or individual, the more likely it is that the authorities, media and attorneys will want to take action.

And good luck Let us know how you do!

ED Magedson Founder RipoffReport.com Author of www.ripoffrevenge.com

Rip-off Report PO Box 310, Tempe, Arizona 85280

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/05/2010 10:43 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AOL-Travelers-AdvantageTrilegiant-Corporation/Norwalk-Connecticut-06850/AOL-Travelers-AdvantageTrilegiant-Corporation-Trilegiant-Corporation-Charged-my-Credit-Ca-578628. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AOL Travelers Advantage;Trilegiant Corporation